Cowboys playoff run ends in loss to Waxahachie

Rithik Chennupati, Staff Writer

ARLINGTON – After the first points were scored by Waxahachie, the Coppell boys basketball team never managed to pull ahead. Throughout the game, the Cowboys kept fighting back to get the lead but never managed to do so, as Waxahachie defeated Coppell, 62-50, in the Class 6A Region I area playoffs at Timberview High School.

Blanche Harris
Coppell sophomore guard Anthony Black looks to pass around Waxahachie junior Jalen Lake on Friday at Timberview High School. The Cowboys lost to the Indians, 62-50, in the Class 6A Region I area playoffs.

Coppell, District 6-6A champions, ends its season at 29-6. 

In the first quarter, Waxahachie was able to get out to an early 8-2 lead but two back to back three pointers from Coppell senior guard Brandon Taylor and sophomore forward Ryan Agarwal tied the game. The Waxahachie offense kept momentum and led 19-13 at the end of the first quarter. 

“At the beginning of the game, there were a lot of nerves but we were able to get through that, the game went on, ” Coppell senior guard Brandon Taylor said. “We started to adjust to their fast pace and saw where we could attack” 

Once the second quarter got started, the Cowboys seemed to gain momentum with a dunk and layup on back to back possessions from Coppell sophomore forward Anthony Black, cutting the Waxahachie lead to one over the Cowboys.  The second quarter was back and forth until Waxachie’s offense went on a 7-0 run to close out the half, giving them the lead, 32-25. 

Throughout the third quarter, Waxahachie was able to maintain a steady lead as both offenses slowed down. The Cowboys scored more in the quarter than Waxahachie but still faced a 41-33 deficit going into the fourth.

“Once we came out in the third quarter we made the right adjustments but our shots weren’t falling,” Black said. “We played hard throughout the game but just did not hit the shots to get back into the game.” 

The last quarter brought out the heart in both teams. To start the quarter, Waxahachie’s offense looked to continue piling on the lead. With six minutes remaining, Waxahachie lead, 45-33, but the Cowboys offense started picking up momentum, bringing the deficit down to 50-41 with three minutes remaining. 

“We did not end the season the way we wanted to but next year we look to be back here and hopefully we can get past the second round in the playoffs,” Black said.

Blanche Harris
Coppell senior guard Adam Moussa passes to Coppell sophomore guard Anthony Black against Waxahachie on Friday at Timberview High School. The Cowboys lost to the Indians, 62-50, in the Class 6A Region I area playoffs.

The Cowboys’ season might have ended in their loss to Waxahachie but their record showed a team that was a force in the state.

“Out of all the teams I have been on in the past three years of my varsity career in Coppell, this team felt the most like a family” Taylor said. “It hurts to lose especially when we put so much effort into this season, but I am happy I got to play with all of the guys I did this year.”  

Follow Rithik (@Rithikc11) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.