Track hoping to stay at front of pack at Coppell Relays

Sidekick File Photo

Coppell sophomore Anthony Black competes in the high jump for Coppell’s track team at Buddy Echols Field last season. Coppell hosts the Coppell Relays tomorrow at Buddy Echols Field at 8 a.m.

Anjali Krishna, Staff Writer

Entering the track and field season with high expectations, the annual Coppell Relays comes to Buddy Echols Field tomorrow at 8 a.m.

“Coppell Relays is always a good meet, we have some good teams showing up,” Coppell coach Karl Pointer said. “Flower Mound, Rockwall, Marcus, Lake Highlands, [Southlake Carroll]. It’s going to be a high quality meet and we’re expecting big things from our kids.”

After a good start to the season at both the Jaguar Invitational and Newman Smith Trojan Relays, with the girls finishing second in the former, first in the latter, and the boys finishing third and first respectively, both teams are looking for another success to cement their position as a front-runner in the race to District 6-6A Championship.

“We started the year out doing pretty well, the girls and boys have each won a meet and we’re hoping to build upon that and get into a position to defend our district titles,” Pointer said.

Coppell competitors to look out for include freshman Sky Schuller in high jump and pole vault on the varsity girls side and senior Jackson Walker in the 800-yard and mile, junior Evan Caswell in the 200-yard and senior Samir Thota in the 100 and 200-yard on the boys side. 

“We’re continuing to build up on each meet,” Pointer said. “Each week is a stepping stone we want to get to in order to peak and really excel at district, where both boys and girls teams are defending district titles, with the boys going four consecutive years, looking for a fifth and the girls looking for a second.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.