Asian ensemble movie concert reeling in audience

Samantha Freeman

Flutists from the Dallas Asian Wind Ensemble pose after its “Movie In Concert” in the CHS Auditorium on Sunday night. The concert featured scores from movies such as Harry Potter, Star Wars and Mulan.

Angela Yuan, Staff Writer

A heterogeneous group of musicians of different ages and ethnicities take a breath, and with the wave of a baton, Mulan’s “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” projects through the auditorium.

The Dallas Asian Wind Ensemble held its “Movie In Concert” in the Coppell High School Auditorium on Sunday at 6 p.m. 

Directed by Coppell ISD tuba private instructor Jung Moo Lee, the ensemble was created to showcase Asian music.

“We have a strong music background,” Lee said. “The concert was great. There were more people than I expected, and they liked it.”

Both students and instructors in Coppell ISD band programs played in the band, including CHS9 associate director of bands Kate Klontz, CHS percussion instructor Randall Nguyen and Coppell Middle School West director of bands Greg McCutcheon. 

“[Being part of the ensemble] has been pretty intense, because most of the people have more experience than me,” CHS sophomore bassoon player Sahan Yerram said. “At first, it was hard to get a grasp of the pace of the concert, but after some time, it became a little bit easier. Now, I’m used to the pace.”

The ensemble played songs from movies including Frozen, Star Wars and Harry Potter

“I used to be in [Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra], so it’s nice to be in another ensemble,” CHS senior clarinet player Emilie Sangerhausen said. “It’s a lot of fun to play with them. I’m the only high schooler in my section, so hearing their sound and seeing how they’ve continued music past high school is cool to see.”

Projector screens beside the stage played clips or trailers from movies. 

Follow Angela (@anglealey) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.