Wrestlers head to regional competition in hopes of advancing to state meet

Kyah Jones

Coppell freshman Scout Carrel tackles an opponent from Fossil Ridge on Jan. 30 at the CHS Arena. Twelve boys and 10 girls from the Coppell wrestling team compete at the UIL Region II Championships on Friday and Saturday at Allen High School.

Akhila Gunturu, Staff Writer

The Coppell varsity girls and boys wrestling teams will be competing Friday and Saturday at the UIL Region II Championships at Allen High School. 

The UIL District 6-6A Championships at Prosper High School had 12 athletes from the boys wrestling team and 10 from the girls wrestling team competing. All of the 10 Cowgirls and eight of the boys who competed advanced to the regional level. Senior captain Jackson Briscoe, who competes in the 170 pound weight class, led the boys team in second place. The Cowgirls were the only team to have all of the girls present advance to the regional level, beating Prosper by three points. 

“[District] was different from all of the other years and I feel like it was a lot tougher this year,” New Tech High @ Coppell senior captain Brooke Massaviol, who competes in the 148 pound weight class, said. “We still managed to get first as a team and I’m still very happy with it.”

After months of vigorous preparation, the Cowgirls are anticipating intense competition at Allen High School. 

“[Regionals] is going to be a tough competition,” Massaviol said. “We have a lot of good girls in our region, a lot of good schools with a history of winning regional titles, so we know it’s going to be a lot tougher than it has been in the past. [We’re preparing for regionals] by mostly doing what we’ve always done. Working hard, not thinking of it any differently. It’s the same practice you’ve always done.”

Follow Akhila (@akhila_gunturu) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.