75th annual NFL Draft kicks off with round one picks

Mary Whitfill

The 2010 draft, NFL’s most common source of player recruitment, launched yesterday, resulting in 20 teams recruiting new players for this season. The 2010 Draft is the 75th annual meeting and unlike previous years, this draft will take place over three days at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The 2nd and 3rd rounds will commence this afternoon, followed by the 3rd through 7th on Saturday.  

This year’s first pick was by the St. Louis Rams, the 2009 season’s worst team, who selected OU Junior QB Sam Bradford. Bradford, once considered to be the top QB draft pick, suffered a season-ending shoulder injury with expected recovery time 4-6 months. Despite his history of shoulder problems, Bradford is considered to be the best QB coming out of this year’s draft.

The Denver Broncos and the Detroit Lions snagged two players each in the first round, the Lions scoring Jahvid Best and Ndamukong , and the Broncos gaining Tim Tebow and Demaryius Thomas.

‘America’s Team’, found in our own back yard, grabbed 210 pound receiver Dez Bryant, a current OSU junior. Bryant, who was ruled ineligible for violating NCAA rules in early October, has what it takes to be an asset to the team. During his 2007 freshman year Bryant scored six touchdowns and caught 43 passes for a total of 622 yards.

As the next six rounds unfold it is sure to be an interesting year as the number of non-senior entries tops the records at 53 and there are to be 255 overall selections. The second and third rounds will take place on Friday, April 23 starting at 6:30 p.m. EDT, while the final four rounds will be held on Saturday, April 24 commencing at 10:00 a.m. EDT. Coverage is provided by both NFL Network and ESPN.

1