Surprises from the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft

By Peter Sblendorio

1. Jimmy Clausen goes undrafted: Most teams had Clausen as the second quarterback on their draft board after Sam Bradford, who went first overall. A number of mock drafts had the Notre Dame product going fourth overall to the Redskins before Washington acquired Donovan McNabb, and despite that deal nobody could have imagined Clausen being undrafted after Day 1. Even more surprising, another quarterback not named Bradford was drafted in the first round before Clausen.
    2. Tim Tebow goes to Denver: A number of analysts considered Tebow a third round talent, maybe a second round pick as a reach maybe. Despite these projections, the Broncos surprised everyone by taking Tebow 25th overall. Denver had acquired Brady Quinn earlier in the offseason to complement the incumbent Kyle Orton, but they selected what could be their quarterback of the future in Tebow. Based on college statistics alone , the Florida product should have the first QB taken, but there have been concerns on how his game will translate to the NFL.
    3. Jags select Tyson Alualu: The Cal product is a talented player, no question, and he was expected to go in the first round. But 10th overall? Jacksonville threw the first curveball of the draft by selecting Alualu with the tenth pick, likely well above were most teams had him on their draft boards. With more polished defensive ends like Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech and Jason Pierre-Paul still available, you have to question the Jaguars pick.

Click here for more on the 2010 NFL Draft

1