Senior Night to recognize graduating wrestlers during duels against Fossil Ridge

Pranati Kandi

Coppell senior Garrett Hardin wrestles Skyline senior Kundae Ange on Nov. 23 in the CHS Field House for the 138 weight class bout, later losing the bout at the Coppell Round-Up. Coppell is hosting Senior Night against Keller Fossil Ridge in the CHS Arena tomorrow at 6 p.m.

Jillian Moore, Staff Writer

The Coppell boys wrestling team looks to dominate against Keller Fossil Ridge in the CHS Arena at 6 p.m. tomorrow for Senior Night. 

Senior Night against Fossil Ridge takes a break from the competitive season to bring together two teams in a friendly competition to recognize the senior wrestlers. Coppell senior wrestlers will be recognized with an announcement of their college commitment.  

Both girls and boys teams will compete in the CHS Arena and alternate between wrestlers from each team. Matches during Senior Night will prepare wrestlers for the upcoming District 6-6A matches on Feb. 6 at Prosper High School.  

“Senior Night shows the growth of individuals on the team by acknowledging the work that they’ve done not only that year, but through the four years that they’ve spent playing on the high school team,” Coppell junior 102-pound class wrestler Ananya Sampathkumar said.

Because Senior Night is the last competition before districts, wrestlers on both the girls and boys team are using this week to finish the season strong as they head into the District 6-6A matches. 

“Senior Night really is the closest we get to a break week all season, so it’s really important to get healed and healthy that week, especially since districts are the next week,” Coppell senior 170-pound class captain Jackson Briscoe said. 

The end of the competitive season for freshmen, sophomores and juniors on the team marks the time for personal improvement in preparation for next wrestling season. However, for seniors on the team this is the last home tournament of their high school wrestling careers.

“Senior Night for all of the seniors is kind of just a strict realization that season is finally coming to an end and as sad as that is, we still have the better part of a semester before senior year is over,” Briscoe said. 

Follow Jillian (@jillianmoore_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.