On the Spot: Wuhan coronavirus hits Texas soil with potential case (with video)

Devan Patel

Kaylee Aguilar

An outbreak of coronavirus has infected more than 800 in Wuhan, China and a man in his 30s in Washington state contracted the virus. Attempts to keep the virus contained are being taken, including screening travelers for symptoms and sending out a warning to avoid traveling to Wuhan.

Shreya Beldona, Staff Writer

With ever changing and rapidly mutating viruses, the threat of contraction always exists, no matter how little. Yet, a sense of imperceptibility remains, until the threat hits close to home.

Exhibiting symptoms of the new Wuhan coronavirus, a Texas A&M University student has been receiving treatment for their symptoms after suspicions arose yesterday. This is the first record of an individual suspected to have the virus in Texas. 

The virus, supposedly originating in Wuhan’s Huanan South China Seafood Market, is contagious as it can spread from person to person. 

The very first reported case of the virus in the United States occurred Tuesday in Seattle after an individual reported symptoms subsequent to traveling to Wuhan, China.

The virus seems to have disastrous effects with 830 reported cases and 25 deaths in China within a month of being acknowledged by Chinese officials. 

Though the closest case is 200 miles away, the coronavirus is symbolic of other threats that hit even closer to home — threats such as the flu and viral bronchitis.

However, there are measures to take to protect against these ailments.

Especially in school and work environments, it can be more beneficial to be proactive rather than reactive when dealing with illnesses.

“Being proactive for yourself includes washing your hands, staying clear of people who are exhibiting symptoms, not sharing utensils, using hand sanitizer and washing your hands frequently,” Coppell High School health science and theory clinical teacher Suzanne Paylor said. “The big thing is washing your hands.”

Even being educated about symptoms and causes of illnesses can be a first step to defense.

“Education is extremely important,” Paylor said. “But it’s like leading a horse to water but you can’t make them drink. I can teach you about all the ways [to prevent getting sick] but if you are not washing your hands and not staying away from sick people then I can’t help you.” 

Getting vaccines are one of the most effective ways of defense to those who can or choose to receive them.

“Vaccines are very needed,” Paylor said. “Vaccines are vitally important especially for those [who cannot get them]. [Students] are vaccinated against mumps, measles, polio, tetanus and similar illnesses. [Students] aren’t sick because they are vaccinated against those things.”

Though a vaccine or cure to the coronavirus does not yet exist, there are steps individuals can take to limit the hindrances different illnesses impose.

Follow Shreya (@BeldonaShreya) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.