Board approves new calendar for 2020-21, 2021-22 school years

Tracy Tran

Elementary teachers of Coppell ISD received their certificates for being campus Teachers of the Year during the CISD Board Meeting on Monday. New calendar for 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years was approved during the meeting.

Akhila Gunturu, Staff Writer

On Monday night, the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees discussed and adopted the new calendar for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. 

The calendar for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years, dubbed as Option 1 during the meeting, is similar to the 2019-20 calendar. School begins on Wednesday, Aug. 12,  2020, and the end of each grading period has early release days. The second semester for the 2020-21 school year begins on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021, with employees returning on Tuesday. 

Spring Break will be in the third week of March, aligning with North Lake College’s Spring Break period. School ends on Wednesday, May 26, 2021, which is before Memorial Day. 

The three options for the calendar, which were all posted in a survey on the CISD website for public opinion until Jan. 6, all featured 187 staff days and varied from 174 to 176 student days. Option 2, which featured 174 school days, early release days at the end of each grading period, and Spring Break during the second week of March, was the most popular choice from the survey. 

The CISD Administration recommended Option 1 to the Board on the grounds that it supports CISD’s core values of redefining success, relationships, great teaching and engagement. The Board discussed the recommendation along with several concerns, some raised during the open forum, such as designating Election Day as a holiday, graduation dates and the summer heat. The motion to ratify Option 1 as the calendar for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years passed, 5-2. 

Other motions discussed and approved included the motion to replace the bleachers and press box at CHS9’s Lesley Field (7-0). The resolutions to approve Cassandra Phillips as a nominee for the Fifth Member of the Board of Directors of the Dallas Central Appraisal District and to support National Public Schools Week passed, 7-0. 

Monday night’s board meeting was attended by several students, teachers, and their families, who were honored for their achievements. The district highlights included the Coppell Middle School West Junior Thespians advancing to the International Thespian Festival, the Coppell Debate Team climbing in national rankings, and Valley Ranch students sharing stuffed animals with Dallas Independent School District’s Walnut Hill Elementary. 

KCBY, The Sidekick and Round-Up yearbook were presented with certificates for the accolades they received, and the Teachers of the Year for CISD campuses were announced and honored. The school board was also honored for National School Board Recognition Month. 

“I want to say what an honor it is to be principal for every one of these kids that are present here tonight,” Coppell High School Principal Laura Springer said. “This is redefining success. Stepping up and doing your job for someone who needs you to and taking the training you have and applying it. I’m so honored to have you at CHS and I’m honored to have you as my people that I love from the bottom of my heart.” 

The full-length recording of the meeting can be found here

Follow Akhila (@akhila_gunturu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.