Letter From the Editor: Reflecting upon experiences before decade ends

Photo courtesy Anthony Cesario

The Sidekick editor-in-chief Anthony Cesario plays the piano at age 9 (left) and stands in the space where his piano used to be in his living room as a high school senior (right). Cesario took piano classes for eight years and stopped playing when he was a freshman.

Anthony Cesario, Editor-in-Chief

My parents finally sold our piano last month.

I can’t pretend I’m all that upset it’s gone. I started off loving the instrument, but the practice requirements, lessons every Saturday morning and the competitions I begrudgingly participated in eventually caused me to resent it. So, after eight years of playing, I quit. 

That was two years ago. I’ve hardly touched the piano since.

Still, there’s something oddly poetic about it. I closed out the last decade watching a brand new (used) piano be installed in the empty space behind our couch; I closed out this one with that space now empty once again. It reminds me just how much has changed in my life over the last 10 years – and how much could change over the next 10. 

This year had a lot of firsts for me: first college application, first time living in a dorm room, first episode of my podcast/passion project, first date, first paycheck. But, it was also the perfect conclusion to the decade. I’ve learned to let go of things in the past that I can’t change, to accept myself for who I am. I’ve reconnected with friends I haven’t talked to in years and  realized that maybe it’s better for me to let others go. 

On one hand, it feels like life is rushing by a million miles a minute – but on the other, it also feels like it’s all slowly starting to fall in place. I didn’t come into 2019 anticipating any of this, but it ended up being the best year of my life.

As I’m writing this letter, I am awaiting the decision from my dream college, with plans of studying in cozy cafes and walking down bustling, moonlit streets with friends lining my future. Will I be crushed for days if I get rejected, and have to entirely adjust my life plans? Yes. But could I, if I had to? Also yes.

I am not the world-famous pianist I once thought I might be; 10 years later, I have different interests, different priorities, different dreams. As we enter a new decade, let’s appreciate everything that has made us who we are – but also look forward to everything life has in store. 

Here’s to the triumphs of 2019, and the possibilities of 2020.

Follow Anthony (@anthonycesario_) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.