Top 5 must see movies for the holidays

Yasemin Ragland, Staff Writer

I love going to the movies with friends and family, and the holidays are a great time to go see one with a friend or family member. Here are my top five movies to see over the holidays:

5. Last Christmas (Nov. 8)

Rated:PG-13

Synopsis:

Young Katarina “Kate” (Emilia Clark), a frustrated Londoner who works as an elf at a year round Christmas shop, who nothing seems to go right for. When she meets Tom (Henry Golding), a handsome charmer, who seems to good to be true, as the city turns into the most wonderful time of the year, they develop an attraction for each other that turns into a yuletide romance. 

Why you should go see it:

I saw the trailer with my mom when we were watching ABC’s TV series “Blackish” spinoff, “Mixdish”, and it is pretty funny. And I think it’s, one of the top five movies to watch over Christmas.

4.  Spies In Disguise (Dec. 25)

Rated: PG

Synopsis:

Super Spy Lance Sterling (Will Smith), and Scientist Walter Beckett (Tom Holland) are almost exact opposites. While Lace goes on epic missions to save the world, Walter invents the gadgets that Lance uses on said missions. When Lance accidentally drinks Walter’s latest invention of “biodynamic concealment” and turns into a pigeon, the two have to figure out a way to turn Lance back into a human and save the world from the cybernetic madman, Tristan McFord (Ben Mendelsohn).

Why you should go see it:

I’ve seen the first trailer, and it is funny. It’s also going to be Tom Holland’s first voice acting role.

3. Jumanji: The Next Level (Dec.13)

Rated:PG-13

Synopsis:

Unknown to his friends, Spencer Gilpin (Alex Wolff) has kept the pieces of the Jumanji video game, from Jumanji:Welcome To The Jungle. One day he repairs it in his grandfather’s basement and gets sucked into it and when his girlfriend Martha Kaply (Morgan Turner), and their friends Anthony “Fridge” Johnson (Ser’Darius Blain) and Bethany Walker (Madison Iseman) come to see him, they find the game on and Spencer missing. 

Before they can choose their avatars they too get sucked into the game. Martha lands in Jumanji as Ruby Roundhouse (Karen Gillan) her avatar from Jumanji:Welcome To The Jungle. She finds that Spencer’s grandfather Eddie Gilpin (Danny DeVito) and his friend Milo Walker (Danny Glover) have also been sucked into the game. Eddie lands as Dr. Smolder Bravestone(Dwayne Johnson):Spencer’s avatar from Welcome To The Jungle. Milo lands as Franklin “Mouse” Finbar(Kevin Hart):Fridge’s avatar from Welcome To The Jungle. Bethany has somehow disappeared in the process and that Fridge has taken her place as Professor Sheldon “Shelly” Oberon(Jack Black). 

As the the group head out to find Bethany and Spencer, than escape Jumanji once and for all, the two friends help Eddie and Milo get used to their avatars.

Why you should go see it:

I saw the trailer and it is hilarious, it’s also good to have a little comedy in your life. Also if you’ve seen the original Jumanji and Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, or at least seen Welcome To The Jungle, or you’re a Kevin Hart, Dwayne Johnson, or Jack Black fan,you should go see The Next Level.

2. Frozen II (Nov. 22)

Rated: PG

Synopsis:

Three years after the events of Frozen (2013), Elsa (Idina Menzel) the queen of Arendelle, hears a mysterious voice calling out to her one night, and unintentionally wakes up the elemental spirits of Water, Fire, Air, and Earth, she, Anna (Kristen Bell) her younger sister and the princess of Arendelle, Kristoff (Jonathan Groff) an ice harvester and Anna’s boyfriend, Sven, Kristoff’s reindeer and Olaf (Josh Gad) a sentient snowman created by Elsa’s ice magic, head off into an enchanted forest to discover the origin of Elsa’s powers and save Arendelle. Meanwhile Kristoff is trying to propose to Anna, but can’t seem to get her full attention.

Why you should go see it:

The cast from the first movie is in it as well as new cast members. If you’re a Disney fan like me, or you’ve seen the first Frozen you should watch it. It also features an adorable salamander named Bruni, who Elsa befriends. Also Josh Gad is pure comedy. It also has more mythological elements in it than the last movie, as well as a 1980s rock themed song.

Songs featured:

• “All Is Found” (Queen Iduna Elsa and Anna’s mother)
  • “Some Things Never Change” (Anna, Olaf, Kristoff, and the kingdom of Arendelle)
  • “Into The Unknown” (Elsa, and the mysterious voice)
  • “When I Am Older” (Olaf)
  • “Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People” (Kristoff)
  • “Lost In The Woods” (Kristoff)
  • “Show Yourself” (Elsa, and Iduna)
  • “The Next Right Thing” (Anna)
  • “Into The Unknown”end credits (Panic! at the Disco)
  • “All Is Found”end credits (Kacey Musgraves)
  • “Lost In The Woods”end credits (Weezer)
  1. Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker (Dec. 20)

Rated: PG-13

Synopsis:

A year after the events that happened in The Last Jedi, Rey (Daisy Ridley), Finn (John Boyega), Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), Princess Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher), and the rest of who is left in the Resistance face the First Order led by Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), one more time. The Skywalker saga draws to its definitive end as the ancient conflict between the Jedi and the Sith is drawing ne’er to its climax. 

Why you should go see it:

It may not be the last Star Wars movie but it’s definitely the last film in the sequel trilogy and the Skywalker saga. If your a Star Wars fan like me and my dad or if you love movies, TV shows and books of the science fiction or fantasy genres like me, than its a must watch. And if your a Disney fan, you should go see it because 2019 seems to be packed with Disney movies.

I myself have already seen Frozen 2 and I’m going to see The Next Level and The Rise Of Skywalker and I want to see Last Christmas and Spies In Disguise. I really hope you enjoy these 5 movies over winter break.