Dancers to be brought together in Ballet Academy of Texas’s “The Nutcracker”

Akhila Gunturu

Dancers from the Ballet Academy of Texas listen to instructions during the Dec. 4 rehearsal of “The Nutcracker”. The Ballet Academy of Texas will be performing its annual production of “The Nutcracker” on Saturday and Sunday.

Akhila Gunturu, Staff Writer

On Saturday and Sunday, the Ballet Academy of Texas is holding its annual performance of “The Nutcracker” at the Irving Arts Center. 

There are two performances each day. On Saturday, the Cast A will perform at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., and on Sunday, the Cast B will perform at 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Each show will have an intermission in between.  

“The Nutcracker” is a two-act ballet with a score by Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky often performed during Christmastime. The Ballet Academy of Texas’s production of “The Nutcracker” features a cast of dancers ranging from age 3 and up. They have been performing “The Nutcracker” for 20 years now, with rehearsals and preparation starting from September each year. 

“[The Ballet Academy of Texas’s Nutcracker] is special because it joins all dancers together,” Coppell High School sophomore Miisha Masterson said. 

Masterson will be playing the Hungarian act lead, a ballerina doll and a corps de ballet dancer in the snow scene.

“You go through this fantasy world and it’s enjoyable because everyone dances together,” Masterson said.

Tickets are $30 for adults and $25 for students and seniors. To purchase, click here

Follow Akhila (@akhila_gunturu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.