Running to state

Boys looking to create legacy, girls aiming to defend title

The+Coppell+cross+country+team+poses+for+a+picture+this+morning+at+their+send+off+to+the+state+meet.+The+girls+begin+their+race+on+Saturday+in+Round+Rock+at+2%3A30+p.m.+and+the+boys+begin+theirs+at+3%3A15+p.m.+

Camila Villarreal

The Coppell cross country team poses for a picture this morning at their send off to the state meet. The girls begin their race on Saturday in Round Rock at 2:30 p.m. and the boys begin their’s at 3:15 p.m.

Anjali Krishna, Staff Writer

At the Class 6A Region 1 Meet in Lubbock on Oct. 28, both the Cowgirls and Cowboys cross country teams qualified for the 2019 UIL State Meet at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock.

The Cowgirls will approach the state meet as not only qualifiers for four years in a row but as reigning Class 6A champions looking to defend their title. The team consists of four returning members and two new members all looking to leave their mark on the track and in the record books. 

“I believe we can get another gold,” Coppell junior Natalie Fleming said. “Going in as the state champions means we have a target on our backs. The other teams will be out for us, looking for ways to mess up our strategies. Winning state again this year would mean we would be building the streak that we can hopefully maintain for many years. We would be showing that it wasn’t just a one-time thing, and we’re here to stay.”

The Cowboys enter the state meet from a much different position – not as reigning champs, but as underdogs. This year will be the first time the Coppell boys team has qualified for state since 2007. 

“It’s very exciting, knowing that we have the team that’s going to state,” Coppell junior Colin Proctor said. “We’ve had a lot of good runners come in and we’re doing really well. It’s really exciting to go with everyone as a team. It would mean a lot to go to state. I’ve been working since freshman year and we’ve definitely grown together as a team, and it means a lot to go to state with these guys. This is our year.”

Despite their different backgrounds, the boys and girls teams enter into the state meet with confidence.

“I’m expecting the team to medal at state. We definitely have the potential to do it. We have talented runners doing what they need to do. If we do our best, we can do it,” Proctor said.

The Cowgirls begin their 5K at 2:30 p.m. this Saturday in Round Rock, while the Cowboys run at 3:15 p.m.

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.