State bound with company

Boys cross country team joining defending champs to run for 6A title

Emma Meehan, Staff Writer

The Coppell boys cross country team qualifies for the Class 6A state championship meet in Rock Round on Nov. 9 after placing fourth at the Class 6A Region I meet in Lubbock on Monday. The Cowboys will compete in state for the first time since 2007. Photo courtesy Nicole Jund.

The 2018 Class 6A girls state champion Coppell cross country team will return to state this year for the fourth year in a row, but not alone. They will be joined by the CHS boys team, which qualified for the first time since 2007. 

Both teams qualified for state at Monday’s Class 6A Region I meet in Lubbock. 

“The team took off some of the added pressure that comes with regionals by preparing as we normally would for any meet,” Coppell senior runner Shelby Spoor said. “We work hard and run for each other more than we do for ourselves, and that’s why we can succeed.”

The girls placed second only to Southlake Carroll. The boys placed fourth to secure their spot at state, also behind first place Carroll. Both teams will get a shot at redemption against the regional champion Dragons at state.

CHS junior Evan Caswell was the highest-placed male runner from Coppell, who finished second with a time of 14:41.60 and Spoor placed the highest of any female runners from Coppell, finishing seventh with a time of 17:53.50, both in the 5K run. 

“The team doesn’t just want to be at state, we want to compete,” Coppell senior runner Jackson Walker said. “Both teams have a lot of confidence going into [state].”

The Coppell girls cross country team qualifies for the Class 6A state championship meet in Round Rock on Nov. 9 after placing second at the Class 6A Region I meet in Lubbock on Monday. The Cowgirls will be defending their state championship title after winning last year. Photo courtesy Nicole Jund.

Walker will continue his athletic career at Duke University, where he will run track after breaking two of Coppell’s all-time records in the 800-meter and 1600-meter. 

“Everyone wants our state championship title,” Coppell sophomore runner Rebeca Centeno said. “We have to work to get the credit we deserve and come out strong as last year’s champions.”

Centeno was a freshman on last year’s victorious girls team and will compete again at this year’s state championship meet, along with four other girls returning and two newcomers to state.

Cross country travels to Round Rock on Nov. 9 to take on the best Class 6A teams in the state. The girls will begin their 5K run at 2:30 p.m., before the boys start at 3:10 p.m. 

Follow Emma (@emmameehan_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.