Coppell dominates Irving with eight touchdowns at homecoming game

Samantha Freeman

Senior running back Tyrese Ward rushes after the snap giving Coppell a first down against Irving on Friday night at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowboys beat the Tigers 55-7 in their fifth district game of the season, bringing their district record to 2-3.

Pramika Kadari, Executive News & Enterprise Editor

Last night on Buddy Echols Field, Coppell took another step in its uphill battle to secure a spot in the playoffs by defeating Irving, 55-7, in its District 6-6A matchup and homecoming game. 

“We have to win the rest of the games to have a chance to get in the playoffs, and so this was just a part of that,” Coppell coach Michael DeWitt said. 

With four touchdowns, the second quarter was the Cowboys’ strongest offensive quarter. Coppell junior quarterback Ryan Walker made an 11-yard pass to senior wide receiver Bishop Bell for another touchdown. Senior running back Tyrese Ward then scored with an 8-yard run, followed by two more touchdowns – from junior running back Jason Ngwu with an 11-yard run and Walker with a 10-yard run. Junior Tyler Reid’s kick was good in all but the last touchdown of the second quarter, making the score 41-0 at halftime. 

“The whole line did a great job blocking up front, and the receivers blocked well at the perimeter,” Dewitt said. “Defensively, the front seven played really well.”

Ngwu also scored two touchdowns in the first quarter – one with eight minutes left on the clock and another with 1:48 left. 

“Scoring as many touchdowns as I can [was my goal for the game],” Ngwu said. “I was patient, I ran hard, ran fast. As a team, we did good, we came out strong, we were fast to the ball and everything.”

Ward scored another touchdown in the third quarter, with senior Andrew Espindola kicking the point after. With the eighth touchdown from sophomore Dylan Nelson, the score was bumped up to 55-0. 

Irving did not score until the fourth quarter, when Bryan Mancilla earned the Tigers a touchdown after returning a fumbled snap on a punt 20 yards. 

Coppell faces Flower Mound next Friday at 7 p.m at Neil E. Wilson Stadium. 

Follow Pramika (@pramika_kadari) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.