Fall tennis season ends in regional quarters loss to Carroll

Emma Meehan, Staff Writer

Anthony Onalaja
Coppell High School senior Elias Dias volleys to his opponent. Coppell lost to Carroll, 10-8, in the Class 6A Region I quarterfinals at Grapevine on Monday.

Coppell tennis’s fall season was cut short after falling to Southlake Carroll in Class 6A Region I quarterfinals at Grapevine on Monday. The Cowboys came up short, 10-8, after a previously undefeated season in district, 7-0, with an overall 17-4 record.

“This game could have gone either way,” CHS coach Rich Foster said. “[Carroll] has a great team, but so do we and we were pretty much evenly matched.”

Coppell had previously faced Carroll twice in the season, one ending in a 10-7 win and the other in a 13-6 loss. Carroll will now advance to the regional semifinals in place of Coppell because of Monday’s match results.

“We’re taking about a week long break after Monday’s match,” CHS tennis coach Rich Foster said. “We need to recuperate as a team and work toward building up our physical strength.”

Coppell tennis will work toward the spring season this off-season to return for its next match at the end of January next year, however the season’s schedule has not yet been finalized by Foster. 

“[The team] hopes to stay healthy and injury-free for the spring season,” CHS freshman Lindsay Patton said. “I hope to make it to state in my division and we are hoping to live up the potential that we know we have as a team.”

Tennis’s spring season is an individual, rather than team sport. Coppell advanced to the playoffs and was scored as a team in the fall season, but singles and doubles will be scored individually from each other in the spring. 

“[The team] will practice and work hard for the spring season,” CHS senior Clark Parlier said. “I’m going to play tournaments outside of school to prepare and we hope that by working hard in tennis practice, we can go far next season.”

Foster hopes for multiple Coppell athletes to make regionals and even state in the spring tennis season. 

Follow Emma (@emmameehan_) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.