Boys golf breaks records, sets sights on trailblazing season

Photo courtesy Jason Spoor

Boys golf Varsity I members come together after the Eaton Eagle Invitational on September 28 at the Golf Club Fossil Creek. The Varsity I golf team won the Eaton Fall Classic tournament at The Golf Club Fossil Creek on Sept. 27-28 and Varsity II came in second.

Akansha Singh, Staff Writer

After the first day of blazing sun and strong winds, the Coppell boys golf teams exceeded expectations. 

At The Golf Club Fossil Creek on Sept. 27-28, the Varsity I team won its first tournament of the year, the Eaton Fall Classic, by 60 strokes. Their team score was 305 on the first day and 295 on the second, setting a team record. The Varsity II team placed second, with a score of 339 on the first day and 321 on the second.

“Getting first and second in our first tournament of the year is a great start to the season,” Coppell senior Ryan Schweitzer said. 

Coppell did not only find success in teams. Coppell sophomore Rohan Kommenini won the individual tournament and Coppell junior Andrew Chow placed second. 

“The boys program is making a real comeback to where they were four years ago, where they took sixth in state,” Coppell assistant Gary Beyer said. “In Texas, sixth in the state is like first in most states.”

Four years ago, the entire boys golf team was composed of seniors. Now, the team is relatively young – there are only two seniors on Varsity I and II. With a strong start to the season, though, the players believe their ages are not a detriment, rather a benefit. Their success can carry through the next few years.

The team is now preparing for its district tournament on Nov. 8 at Tangle Ridge Golf Course. The district tournaments determine which three teams will go to state in the spring. 

“I’m really excited for this upcoming season,” Schweitzer said. “This is the best team we’ve had since my freshman year, when we went to state.” 

The team has undergone transitions this season, with CHS9 Spanish teacher Jason Spoor taking over as head coach and Beyer filling the place of assistant coach.

The team practices during fourth and eighth period at Riverchase Golf Club. There, they keep up morale through friendly and constructive competition.

“We push each other to get better when we practice together,” Chow said.

Follow Akansha (@akanshas120) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.