Coppell looks to keep playoff hopes alive against Marcus

Samantha Freeman

Coppell sophomore linebacker Walker Polk dashes to the endzone to score the Cowboys first touchdown of the game with 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter on Oct. 11 at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowboys lost their second district game of the season to the Farmers, 35-10.

Rithik Chennupati, Writer

The Coppell football team plays tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Marcus Marauders Stadium. Marcus is 5-1 overall and 3-0 in District 6-6A play. 

The Cowboys (2-4 overall and 1-2 in District 6-6A) go into this week on a two-game losing streak. They look to change the course of their season by winning out the rest of their games. 

Coppell expects to start junior quarterback Ryan Walker in place of injured senior quarterback Kevin Shuman this week. Walker has been the starter for three games this year and went 1-2. After playing in key moments this season, Walker looks to keep the Cowboys’ offense rolling this week against Marcus. 

“This game will determine our chances at getting in the playoffs. There is still a chance, if we win out the rest of our games, we can sneak into the playoffs,” Coppell senior left guard Nick Quilens said.“This game is a must win. If we do not win, we are likely out of the playoffs.” 

Marcus is led by four-star junior quarterback Garrett Nussmeier, who is ranked as the seventh best pro-style quarterback as well as the 61st best player in the class of 2021 according to Rivals rankings. Tomorrow, the Cowboys defense faces the challenge of slowing the Marauders offense and allow the Cowboys’ offense to get back on the field.

“We need to make sure we create more turnovers that we give up and create pressure on the quarterback.” Coppell senior defensive lineman Rodney McCarty said. “They have a high powered offense and a good defense. We need to focus on one play at a time this game.” 

Follow Rithik (@Rithikc11) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.