Cowgirls victory against Lewisville fueled by infectious spirit

Neveah Jones

The Coppell volleyball team celebrate its victory in the CHS Arena on Friday. Coppell defeated Lewisville, 3-0.

Shreya Beldona, Staff Writer

Coppell sophomore offensive hitter Haley Holz runs to the net with her hands outstretched in front of her, waiting for the Farmers attack. She jumps up as her arms hit the ball after blocking the spike. 

As her feet return to the glazed red, black and white wood of the court, a smile appears while she receives high fives from fellow team members for getting the fifth point in the first set. 

Yet, Holtz and her teammates were not the only ones celebrating. For almost every point and set won, the crowd got up on its feet and shouted words of encouragement to the Cowgirls. 

Winning in three sets with scores 25-13, 25-10 and 25-23, the spirit of the Cowgirls ran high.

“We had a lot of energy,” Holz said. “Everybody was really rested since we didn’t have school and we were all ready especially since this was our last game before Flower Mound so we wanted to make it good.”

Encouraged by Coppell Coach Julie Price, maintaining a positive spirit is one of the main focuses of the team this season.

“One of the things we are focusing on is trying to maintain our energy and intensity throughout the game and that’s for all 17 of the girls whether you are on the bench [or not],” Price said. “They did a good job at that.”

Follow @SidekickSports and @BeldonaShreya on Twitter.