Senior night win gives Coppell tennis confidence for playoffs

Bi-district to be held on Tuesday

Ava Mora

Coppell High School senior Devan Patel approaches the net to volley against Irving Nimitz at the CHS Tennis Center on Oct. 8 during Senior Night. Coppell defeated Nimitz, 19-0.

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Copy and Design Editor

Cupcakes, balloons and Sonic grilled cheese sandwiches greeted Coppell tennis players as they walked out of the CHS Tennis Center and onto the courts yesterday for Senior Night. The Coppell tennis team defeated Irving Nimitz, 19-0, in their District 6-6A match.

Coppell changed its lineups in order to make an all-senior lineup for the game. To do this, many juniors, sophomores and freshmen gave up their chances at being named an all-district player.

“Our district has a rule that, in order to qualify for all-district, half of your district matches need to be played at a particular spot in the lineup,” Coppell coach Rich Foster said. “Because of some injuries and other issues this year, we’ve been shifting people around quite a bit and some people needed to play this match at their spot in order to get all district. We had kids who were willing to give that up to let the seniors play.”

Despite not having its top players playing, Coppell still dominated on the courts. This being a district match, it served as good preparation for the Class 6A bi-district playoffs on Tuesday at home against Denton Guyer.

“Before playoffs, I want to improve on finishing points at the net and when I do that, I want to make sure the opponent can’t get the ball back over,” Coppell senior Reagan Stone said.

In the next few days prior to playoffs, the Cowboys plan to maintain the same practice schedule.

Follow Nick (@Nick_Pranske8) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.