New York Times Bestselling author enlightens dog lovers

Tracy Tran

Author Susannah Charleson reads a short section in her latest book Where the Lost Dogs Go at the Cozby Library and Community Commons on Sunday. The story highlights the importance of keeping pets in a secured area.

Tracy Tran, Staff Writer

“The heart will find what the eyes can no longer see,author Susannah Charleson said.

Every person in the room stared up at the author, captivated as they hung on to her every last word.

On Sunday afternoon, Charleson visited the Cozby Library and Community Commons. Gathering dog lovers diverse in both age and gender, Charleson’s audiences enjoyed her talk.

“This is the author we had here before in 2014. I [saw] on Facebook [that] she had a new book out, so I wanted to reach out to her,” librarian Jennifer Franz said. “I think in general, it’s good to do programs with local authors. We have local authors in Coppell [and] surrounding areas. And she has written a book that has been on The New York Times Bestseller list. We don’t have a lot of opportunities to have an author like that.”

Tracy Tran
Author Susannah Charleson signs a book at her author visit at the Cozby Library and Community Commons on Sunday. Readers and author had fun talking and sharing about finding lost dogs.

Charleson’s latest book, Where the Lost Dogs Go, is an educational book includes personal sharing from the author what to do when losing pets for readers. The book shows that despite many different stories from various people, many different circumstances and many different locations, everyone uses the same process to find their lost dogs back. 

“I have read the first one four times, the second one three times, and this one [three or second times]. Also, I have it on Audiobook,” Charleson‘s personal assistant Ellen Sanchez said.

Charleson began by sharing a thought about her latest book, Where the Lost Dogs Go.

“This is [a] book about lost animals, but it’s also about finding them and what it takes to find them. [Heart], strategy, and [experience], passion,” Charleson said. “It is not a how-to book, but reading it, you can learn how to.” 

After the short presentation about the new book, audiences were educated on how to find their missing pets. While her book includes a list on this, Charleston also revealed the three first-steps that everyone needs to do right when pets go missing.

“First thing you do is go around the neighborhood,” Charleson said. “On foot, no shouting, no running. Talk to everyone you see, everyone you pass, don’t be shy. Second thing you do is get on social media. Join the lost pets pages before you need them. If you are not a member of the lost pets page in your area, join them. What do you think is the third one? Signs. Less is more.”

Being patient is a big part in the success of finding lost dogs. 

Charleson’s love for dogs goes past writing, as she is also an activist for the health and care of dogs.

Tracy Tran
Coppell resident Sally Hoover brought author Susannah Charleson’s latest book Where the Lost Dogs Go for book signing at the Cozby Library and Community Commons on Sunday. Hoover enjoys Charleson’s books and communicates with the author often.

Charleson reveals about her next book will be a fiction novel as she started her writing career with writing fiction novel and she wants to go back to that genre.

“I feel like today’s event was educational,” CHS9 student Josphin Kallery said. “I learned a lot of new things about what to do when losing a pet.”

Follow Tracy on Twitter @AnhImtracy.