On the Spot: Campus prepares for its largest College Night (with video)

Rishi Meka

Shivi Sharma, CHS9 Editor

Coppell High School College Night is 6-8 p.m. tonight in the CHS Commons and Gymnasium. Parents and students will be able to interact with representatives from over 160 schools across the country, the most the annual event has ever had. 

“I would tell parents and kids to come and ask lots of questions,” CHS lead counselor Ann Cinelli said. “The event helps you see schools you may have never seen and it helps kids think beyond the bigger schools to schools they may never visit from all over the country.”

Lengthy preparation precedes the event, beginning with the CHS Counseling Department releasing their event on Naviance. Colleges then applied to send representatives for the event to promote themselves to students. 

College Ambassadors, a counselor-nominated group of juniors volunteering before and throughout the event, and Student Council members help organize tables and necessities for representatives the day of the event. 

“This’ll be my first College Night,” Coppell High School senior and Student Council service officer Garrett Hardin said. “We’ve been setting up tables and getting accommodations ready for the representatives for some time.”

College Night helps students become more aware of colleges to research and apply to as they forward beyond high school. 

“Be proactive,” Hardin said. “Don’t narrow your horizons and feel like you have to make a decision immediately. There are a lot of schools out there.”