Lacy, CHS students to brighten up Cypress Waters with collaborative mural

Camila Flores

Coppell High School sophomore Jordan Buffington shows of her sketch for David Bearden’s Art 1 honors class. Buffington is painting a mural with professional artist Mary Lacy in Cypress Waters on Sunday.

Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

This Sunday at 10 a.m., the Pump House in Cypress Waters will erupt into a vibrant splash of color as Coppell High School students assist professional artist Mary Lacy to paint a mural on its wall.

On Monday, interested students attended Lacy’s presentation in the CHS lecture hall, where she explained her process for mural painting and prepared attendees for Sunday.

CHS art teacher David Bearden discussed the opportunity with his art classes, which led CHS sophomore Jordan Buffington to sign up. Buffington took interest in painting after joining Bearden’s Art 1 honors class this year.

“[The mural] is a good way to learn more about the art careers and do it with professionals, and it’s a good way to connect the community through art,” Buffington said, “I hope to learn if I might find a future in the art profession. [Because it’s a big mural], a lot more people are going to see it and be impacted by it, which is really cool.”

Free food and games will be provided, as students who do not wish to paint are also invited to watch. The event is expected to wrap up around 2 p.m.