Behind fifth inning rally, Cowboys come back to defeat Hebron, 5-4

Disha Kohli

Coppell senior Elijah McCormack pitches in the first inning against Hebron on Friday at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Cowboys won, 5-4.

Nolan Sanders, Staff Writer

The Cowboys beat the Hebron Hawks on Friday 5-4 thanks to an RBI single to right-centerfield hit by senior second baseman Carter Bacci in the bottom of the sixth inning at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

“I’m glad we could come back at the end there because for the majority [of the game] we were down by at least a couple runs,” Bacci said. “It wasn’t until later that we actually started playing good and in sync, and when we did, we got the win.”

Senior left fielder De Heath led off for the Cowboys with a single up the middle and Bacci followed bringing Heath home and putting Coppell ahead for the first time in the game, 5-4, in the bottom of the sixth.

After sophomore reliever David Jeon threw an immaculate inning in the sixth, striking out all three batters off of only nine pitches, he retired all three Hebron hitters to collect the win.

Senior pitcher Elijah McCormack started on the hill for the Cowboys and allowed one hit and one walk but also struck out two hitters. Two runs were the result of an error in left field, which put Hebron’s first run up on the board.

The Cowboys had only one hit in the first inning, which was hit by freshman third baseman Walker Polk to shallow right field. Two strikeouts and a flyout to left field left Polk stranded and Coppell scoreless for the inning.

Hebron did not score in the second inning but a solo home run hit by senior first baseman Kalen Clark put Coppell’s first run of the game on the board and tied it up at 1-1.

In the third inning, Hebron gained the lead again scoring two runs off of three hits. Senior center fielder Blake Jackson picked up one hit in the bottom of the third but the rest of the batting order was unable to bring him home.

Walker Polk led off for Coppell in the bottom of the fifth and walked on a full count. Jackson came up after and beat the throw on an infield hit. On a 1-2 count, senior right fielder Nick Vernars hit a pop-up to mid left field and drove in two runs due to an error. Vernars was soon after knocked in thanks to a single hit up the middle by Clark. Going into the sixth inning, the game was tied at four.

“We had trouble, of course, getting our bats going at the beginning of the game but they came through when it was most dire,” Cowboys head coach Kendall Clark said. “It was one of those times where I didn’t really have to say anything. They knew what to do and got it done in the fifth and sixth. David Jeon did a fantastic job on the mound and although we did make a few errors, I still feel like we played good. We’re all just glad the lineup woke itself up on time.”

Coppell’s district record stands at 3-1 and it will play its next game tomorrow night at 7 p.m. against the fighting farmers at the CISD baseball/softball complex.