Cowboys, Cowgirls shine at annual Coppell Relays

Bren Flechtner

Coppell High School junior Lauren Kellett jumps 18’4” in long jump on Saturday, March 2 at Buddy Echols field, winning first place.

Emma Meehan, Staff Writer

Coppell competed in its third track and field meet on Saturday as it hosted the annual Coppell Relays at Buddy Echols Field.

Coppell junior Lauren Kellett leaped 18’4”, a new personal record, collecting a first place finish in long jump for Coppell. Kellett barely missed the CHS school record, 18’6.5”, made by alumna Elizabeth Keron in 2011.

“All the tough drills in the mornings pay off,” Kellett said. “We get back what we put in. We just have to get in the right mindset before each meet and put in a lot of hard work.”

Kellett also finished second place in triple jump at 35’7”.

Coppell freshman Kinley Wojick finished third place in pole vault.

Coppell boys and JV girls won first in the 4×400 relay. The JV girls also placed second in the 4×200 and 4×100 relays. The JV boys won the 4×200 relay.

“This wasn’t my best performance or best meet,” Coppell junior Kennedi Rogers said. “I’m looking to put in work in practices to improve for next week and get back up to where I want to be.”

Rogers recorded a 14’11” long jump.

“We had some tough competition this week and many of us placed lower than we usually do in the running events,” Coppell freshman Rebecca Centeno said. “The other girls ran at the same speed or even faster than I did, which was different from the first meet.”

Centeno ran for fifth place in the 3200 meters for the JV team. Centeno finished her two miles in 12:14.73.

Coppell track and field returns to action at Southlake Carroll on March 16.

Follow @SidekickSports on Twitter for more campus sports news.