Coppell basketball flies past Falcons with winning 3-pointer

Bren Flechtner

Coppell junior Adam Moussa guards the ball against Keller Timber Creek on Feb. 19, at CHS Arena. Moussa shot a three in the final 20 seconds of the BI-District Playoffs to send the Cowboys to a 53-51 win. The Cowboys are moving on to the Championship against Lake Ridge on Feb. 21.

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

With 23.8 seconds left on the clock, Coppell junior guard Adam Moussa launched up a long 3-pointer and the arena went silent.

The shot went in, giving the Cowboys a two-point lead.

Then, as the clock wound down to zero, the Falcons drew up a play to give an open jump shot from the side of the basket. After the shot hit the rim and bounced out, the Coppell High School arena erupted.

The Cowboys beat Keller Timber Creek, 53-51, in the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs on Tuesday. Coppell (22-12) plays Mansfield Lake Ridge tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Arlington High School in the area playoffs

“Some games come down to one play,” Coppell coach Clint Schnell said. “We have a ton of games come down to the last minute and this one was no different. I told them in that last huddle, ‘do what we do.’”

However, in many of Coppell’s close game, there has been a second-half comeback or something of the like. Against Timber Creek, it was neck-and-neck for 32 minutes.

The Falcons led, 13-12, at the end of the first quarter before Coppell took a 25-23 halftime lead.

As the teams traded off points until about 20 seconds left, Moussa got the ball and the game was soon over.

“Next round? Next round, we’re going to win. We want to win big so we’re going to prepare this week,” Moussa said.