Powerful biographical play “The Diary of Anne Frank” comes to CHS Theatre

CHS+junior+Mikiyah+Parker%2C+one+of+the+main+actors+of+the+play+Anne+Frank%2C+gets+ready+for+the+last+rehearsal+in+Coppell+High+School%E2%80%99s+Green+Room.+The+play+will+be+presented+at+the+school+in+the+Black+Box+Theatre+from+Friday+to+Sunday+at+7%3A30%2C+and+also+on+Sunday+at+2%3A30.+

Laura Amador-Toro

CHS junior Mikiyah Parker, one of the main actors of the play Anne Frank, gets ready for the last rehearsal in Coppell High School’s Green Room. The play will be presented at the school in the Black Box Theatre from Friday to Sunday at 7:30, and also on Sunday at 2:30.

Sarah Woo, Staff Writer

Today, the Coppell High School theater department presented its first performance of “The Diary of Anne Frank”.

This play tells the classic story of Frank’s diary entries, which encompass moving into the secret annex with her family as they escape persecution from the Nazis. The set and cast effectively demonstrate the family’s reality of living in such a confined space for an extended amount of time – and the eventual end of the Nazis finding them and taking them away into concentration camps.

“Our set is very interesting,” CHS junior stage manager Ashlyn Peterman said. “We’ve been able to capture the whole annex, which is three levels of a house, in a very small area. It establishes a little confined world where you’re able to see all angles and perspectives of the show.”

What makes “The Diary of Anne Frank” stand out from previous productions is that for the first time, CHS9 director Lauren Holt has directed the show by herself.

“[Holt], who’s brand new this year, is a fantastic director, teacher and woman,” Peterman said. “She’s been able to take all these crazy people and get them to put together to create such a beautiful and touching story.”

The CHS theater department’s unique story, set and cast will bring the audience along an immersive adventure of the timeless story of Frank.

“The Diary of Anne Frank” can be seen this Saturday to Sunday nightly at 7:30 p.m, with an additional show at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday in the CHS Black Box Theatre. General admission is $10, and admission for those with student IDs or CISD badges is $5.

“The audience is definitely going to go through a rollercoaster of emotions,” Peterman said. “This show will make people cry at the end.”

Follow Sarah @syw6338