Cowboys collect win to remain atop District 6-6A

Coppell+junior+Dan+Igrisan+high+fives+his+fellow+teammates+as+an+introduction+on+Tuesday+Jan+22+at+CHS+arena.+The+Coppell+Cowboys+lost+to+the+Lewisville+Farmers+71-57.+

Coppell junior Dan Igrisan high fives his fellow teammates as an introduction on Tuesday Jan 22 at CHS arena. The Coppell Cowboys lost to the Lewisville Farmers 71-57.

Neveah Jones

Neveah Jones

Neveah Jones

Emma Meehan, Staff Writer

Coppell basketball played Irving on Tuesday and collected a 78-53 victory. The teams faced off for the second time this season and the Cowboys remained victorious in both games.

“Putting in hard work really shows,” Coppell senior point guard Tariq Aman said. “We’re going to keep working hard and prepare everyday to continue the success we’ve had.”

Coppell took command from the beginning, ending the first quarter with a  28-7 lead. The Cowboys maintained the lead throughout and never trailed the Tigers.

“The team comes into each practice with a determined mindset,” Coppell junior guard Brandon Taylor said. “We believe it’s harder to stay at the top than it is to climb to the top and our rank in district creates a target on our backs, so we’re always looking to defend what we work for.”

The Cowboys are 9-1 and first in district. Irving is 0-9 in district.

“We’re going to keep building on our success and work on what needs improvement,” Coppell coach Clint Schnell said. “Our last four district games are going to be battles and we’re headed into our next game against Flower Mound with a tough mentality.”

Coppell basketball returns to action at Flower Mound tomorrow night at 8 p.m.

Follow @SidekickSports for more campus sports news.

Emma Meehan, Staff Writer

Emma is a junior and a first-year writer on staff. In her free time she enjoys spending time with her friends and family.  Her favorite TV show is The...

Neveah Jones, Staff Photographer

Neveah Jones is a sophomore and first-year staff photography. She enjoys taking photos, writing, and listening to music. Neveah is involved in school clubs...