McBride returning to sidelines

CISD athletics director accepts football coaching position at Boyd

On Friday, former Coppell football coach and current athletic director Joe McBride accepted the position as head coach and athletic coordinator at McKinney Boyd High School. McBride leaves behind Coppell football with a legacy of three district titles in five seasons from 2010-14.

Sidekick file photo

Christine Zacuai, Executive News Editor

Coppell ISD athletics director and former head football coach Joe McBride officially accepted the head football coach and athletic coordinator position at McKinney Boyd High School.

The news was first reported by Matt Stepp of TexasFootball.com on Friday.

“It just was in my heart to coach football again before I’m done in this career. It’s hard to make a career change, I just never could get comfortable because of my love for coaching and being around the kids,” McBride said.

Looking back at his seasoned career at Coppell High School, McBride says he will miss the people the most, but looks forward to working with student athletes again.

“The administration, coaches, all of them have just been so good to me. Just a lot of good people. They’ve always been so supportive of our athletic program,” McBride said. “Just getting to run the program and just excited to be around the kids. It’s just what my calling is at the end of my career.”

McBride is expected to stay on campus for two weeks as he transitions to McKinney Boyd. During this time, McBride is expected to assist in the transition for the district’s next athletics director.

“We have a transition plan and we feel that while everybody will miss Coach McBride, nothing is going to stop. The kids will continue to be taking care of, the coaches will continue to be taken care of, and just move forward here in Coppell,” Coppell ISD assistant superintendent administration Kristen Streeter said. “We’re excited that he gets to move back in position that allows him to work with kids, so we do support in that way. We just wish him the best as he takes these next steps in his career.”

McBride was appointed as CISD athletics director in April 2015 after one year as head coach at Dripping Springs High School. Prior to coaching Dripping Springs, McBride led Coppell Football to a 51-10 record and three district titles in five seasons.

“He’s been great employee, great team member really sad to see him go. He’s done some wonderful things for our district so it’s a big loss,” CISD Superintendent Brad Hunt said.

McBride officially leaves the district for McKinney Boyd on Feb. 8.

“For us, now it’s coming together as a team and figuring out what to do to find his replacement,” Hunt said. “It’s a really important position in our district as it interfaces not only CHS and New Tech kids, but also CHS9 and our middle schools, because we have this program seven through 12th grade. We want to find just the right person that can work with all of our coaches, our student athletes, and our parents.”

Follow Christine on Twitter @chriszacuai