Registration process for 2019-20 school year underway, prepares students for class choices

Christine Zacuai

Registration for the 2019-20 school year is available for returning Coppell High School students and parents. All important links and dates can be found at the homepage of the CHS website.

Christine Zacuai, Executive News Editor

Returning Coppell High School students and parents can expect changes regarding the timeline of the registration of classes for the upcoming school 2019-20 year.

This process began officially on Dec. 19, when the course guide for the upcoming school year was released to students to view and is expected to end on March 6, the final date for students to verify and change classes.

By reframing the dates of certain milestones in the registration process of preceding years, CHS counselors and administration are moving to better inform students about the course guide and registration process at Coppell High School.

Several new additions to the process, such as the 2019-20 Coppell High School Spring Showcase and a converted 4.0 GPA scale, are expected. On Feb. 11, students and parents can preview chosen classes on schedules, much like an Open House, but before official classes have been assigned.

“Here, students and parents will walk through class options and interact with teacher for next year’s classes before schedules are completely set in stone,” CHS associate principal Melissa Arnold said.

Counselors will meet with students prior to the Spring Showcase during Jan 23. to Feb. 8 and have open session to confirm during Feb. 13-15.

With this new timeline, counselors hope to alleviate issues in scheduling concerning leveling down, high demand for AP classes, and large classroom sizes in regular classes.

“We want to students to be realistic at the front end of beginning schedule, as teacher capacity can’t support the number of students that drop the class [when leveling down],” CHS lead counselor Anne Cinelli said.

Class options for the next year have been available on Home Access Center from Jan. 9 and  registration for all course selection requests are due for 2018-2019 school year are due today by 11:59 p.m.

All other important dates can be found on the homepage of the CHS website under Course Registration.