Coppell basketball to play fourth district game against Vikings

Aubrey Phillips

Coppell High School junior Adam Moussa shoots a free throw during the Cowboys’ game against Flower Mound on Tuesday. Coppell plays again tonight away at Irving-Nimitz High School.

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

The Coppell boys basketball team travels to Irving Nimitz tomorrow for its fourth District 6-6A match up. The Cowboys enter 4-0 in district play, including Tuesday’s thriller against Flower Mound.

Throughout the season, the Cowboys have been particularly patient with the ball on offense. A big part of the Coppell offensive structure is swinging the ball around until the right opportunity emerges.

“We have to be able to do the little things on offense,” Coppell coach Clint Schnell said. “We have to be able to get guys open and get good shots.”

So far, the Cowboys have been able to do the little things – especially late in games.

In multiple cases, Coppell has found itself trailing late in the game, yet still comes out ahead.

“We’re a really good defensive team when it comes down to it,” senior guard Tariq Aman said. “We work on this kind of thing in practice in a drill that we have that simulates the last two minutes of the game, and that really helps us out late in the game.”

Nimitz (9-9 overall, 1-2 in District 6-6A), as a comparison, lost against Lewisville. While Coppell did defeat the Farmers, it was a narrow win in overtime.

Tipoff is at 8 p.m. at Irving Nimitz High School following the girls’ game at 6:30 p.m.