Top nominees surprised with Teacher of the Year nominations

Coppell+High+School+Principal+Dr.+Nicole+Jund+and+assistant+principal+Ryan+Lam+present+CHS+teacher+Cameron+Tiede+with+his+Teacher+of+the+Year+nomination+on+Nov.+15.+A+total+of+10+teachers+were+nominated%2C+and+the+winner+will+be+announced+on+Nov.+28+in+the+CHS+Arena.+

Coppell High School Principal Dr. Nicole Jund and assistant principal Ryan Lam present CHS teacher Cameron Tiede with his Teacher of the Year nomination on Nov. 15. A total of 10 teachers were nominated, and the winner will be announced on Nov. 28 in the CHS Arena.

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

On Nov. 15, 10 Coppell High School teachers’ afternoons were brightened as CHS Principal Dr. Nicole Jund and assistant principal Ryan Lam burst into their rooms with the announcement he or she had been nominated to be Teacher of the Year.

CHS teachers John Watkins, Malloy Phillips, Michael Brock, Melissa Alexander-Blythe, Kristen Davis, Melissa Murray, Evan Whitfield, Cameron Tiede, Don Kemp and Angela Barnes were nominated.

“I wasn’t expecting it at all,” Barnes said. “The best part is I didn’t know how to react so I teared up, and my kids gave me a big group hug.”

In October, CHS teachers were given nomination forms. Teachers were selected based off criteria such as their classroom environment and their curriculum design.

“[Another thing we judge is] whether learners can really grasp the concepts being taught,” Lam said.

While Barnes has never been nominated before, other teachers, such as CHS AP statistics teacher Don Kemp, have been several times.

“I’ve gone through this before, but haven’t won,” Kemp said. “I’m excited, but shocked. This time I didn’t expect it at all.”

Over Thanksgiving break, Jund will email CHS families a list of all teachers who were nominated. On Nov. 28, the winner will be announced in the CHS arena during a faculty meeting.

Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

Pramika Kadari is a junior and the Copy Editor on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, watching movies and spending time with friends....

Bren Flechtner, Photography Editor

Bren Flechtner is a senior and third year staffer on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys sewing, taking photos and spending time with friends...