Late scoring pushes Jesuit past Cowboys

Trevor+Moore+and+his+opponent+fight+for+the+puck+at+the+face+off+on+Nov.+15+at+Dr+Pepper+StarsCenter+in+Farmers+Branch.+Coppell+hockey+lost+to+Jesuit+4-2.+

Late scoring pushes Jesuit past Cowboys

Trevor Moore and his opponent fight for the puck at the face off on Nov. 15 at Dr Pepper StarsCenter in Farmers Branch. Coppell hockey lost to Jesuit 4-2.

Neveah Jones

Neveah Jones

Neveah Jones

Nolan Sanders, Staff Writer

FARMERS BRANCH – The Coppell hockey team was defeated, 4-2, by the Jesuit Rangers last night at the Dr Pepper StarCenter.

Throughout the majority of the first period, neither team was able to put any numbers on the board, but with 3:55 left on the clock, Jesuit scored its first goal of the game and put itself in the lead going into the second period.

The Rangers were scoreless in the second period but a goal scored by forward Trevor Moore tied the game for the Cowboys at 1.

Six minutes into the third period, Moore scored his second goal of the night and put the Cowboys ahead of the Rangers for the first and only time of the night.

Coppell held the lead for only three minutes. With 6:04 left in the game, Jesuit tied the game at 2 and one minute later, the Rangers gained the lead. The final goal was scored by Jesuit with just over three minutes left in the third period. It was all that was needed to secure the win.

“We’ve got to be more disciplined,” Coppell coach Chris Shakesby said. “We have to stay out of the penalty box, keep our cool and our heads down.”

Despite a strong defensive front early on in the game, it all fell apart at the end, according to Shakesby.

“We played phenomenally, but it all came crashing down by the third,” Shakesby said. “I don’t know how he does it, but Trevor Moore is consistent every game. He definitely stuck out to me more than anyone else tonight.”

Cowboys goaltender Clay Longbotham was accredited by his teammates for having played well under pressure for the majority of the game.

“It’s always a team effort,” junior forward Trevor Dame said. “No one guy can cost us the game. [Longbotham] can’t do it all himself. There was a bunch of little mistakes at the end but the little mistakes add up, and it ended up costing us the game.”

Coppell hockey will face off against Plano West at 8:30 p.m. next Thursday in Plano.

Nolan Sanders, Staff Writer

Nolan is a junior and a second-year staffer on The Sidekick. Outside of school, he enjoys hanging out with his friends and watching movies. He also writes...

Neveah Jones, Staff Photographer

Neveah Jones is a sophomore and first-year staff photography. She enjoys taking photos, writing, and listening to music. Neveah is involved in school clubs...