City names Tristan Appreciation Day for retiring police chief

The Coppell City Council honors Police Chief Macario “Mac” Tristan for his service to the City of Coppell. Tristan will be retiring effective Dec. 2 at the City Council meeting on Nov. 13.

Anthony Onalaja

Anthony Onalaja

Anthony Onalaja

Neha Desaraju, Staff Writer

On Tuesday night, the Coppell City Council announced Nov. 30, 2018, as Macario “Mac” Tristan Appreciation Day.

Tristan is the current chief of police and is retiring effective Dec. 2. The city will host a reception in dedication to his eight years of service in Coppell from 2-4 p.m. at the Coppell Town Center Atrium on this day in order for the city to thank Tristan and pay their respects.

Tristan was sworn in as chief in January 2011 and has since then implemented a number of programs, including Coppell’s alcohol teen diversion program. He has also carried out innovations that changed practices in hiring, training and policing for Coppell.

“My appreciation for [Tristan] runs deep,” Coppell Mayor Karen Hunt said. “Having been here when he first started, I didn’t really understand all of the changes that were about to happen. And seeing them happen, and seeing [the city council] be [Tristan’s] support…we give to you the thanks and accolades for everything you’ve done for us.”

Before serving for the City of Coppell, he spent 30 years with the Carrollton Police Department, leaving as assistant chief.

“[The other policemen] are the ones that actually did it. I had an idea, but they’re the ones who actually carried it out,” said Tristan, who believes heavily in his philosophies of integrity and leadership.

Tristan will be replaced by deputy police chief Danny Barton.

“I’ll be leaving the department in good hands,” Tristan said. “I believe he is the right choice for the city.”

In addition to Tristan’s retirement, the Council viewed a presentation on a potential expansion to the Arts Center. The Council also discussed the approval of the Blue Zone Project with Michael Acker, vice president of Blue Zone, a company aiming to improve city life across the United States.

Neha Desaraju, Staff Writer

Neha Desaraju is a sophomore and first-year staff writer on The Sidekick. She enjoys music and in her free time is probably singing or playing the piano....

Anthony Onalaja, Staff Photographer

Anthony Onalaja is a junior and first year photographer on The Sidekick. Outside of school Anthony enjoys photography and fixing phones.