Respira to perform annual dessert show

Respira, Coppell High School’s girls choir, is hosting its annual show in the auditorium tonight and tomorrow. For $5, guests can attend and receive complimentary desserts.

Lilly Gorman

Lilly Gorman

Laasya Achanta, Staff Writer

On Thursday and Friday, the Coppell High School all-girls’ show choir, Respira, is hosting its annual dessert show. This year, Respira’s theme is all about women empowerment.

For both show dates, Respira will be performing in the CHS auditorium from 7 – 8:30 p.m.

The songs being performed include “Dancing Queen” by Abba, “Break Away” by Kelly Clarkson, “Say a Little Prayer” by Aretha Franklin, “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga, “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus, “Keep Holding On” by Avril Lavigne, “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor and “Survivor” by Beyonce.

These songs were selected because they were written and performed by women. As Respira is an all-women show choir, members think their strength and determination as independent women make up the core of the group.

“Female empowerment plays a very important role in my life because it means I get to work towards whatever goal I set for myself [and] engage in my passions without fear of being stopped by someone else or being told that I can’t do it,” CHS senior Divya Ruikar said.

In addition to honoring women empowerment, Respira also provides an outlet for students to express themselves at CHS.

“Being in this show is a perfect way for me to do what I love: sing,” CHS sophomore Preethi Jayaraman said. “The camaraderie of the group makes me feel included and I know I will always have a place in Respira.”

Alongside choir director Bona Coogle and assistant choir director Aaron Coronado, choreographer Whitney Bollinger and senior Respira captain Reagan Dunn help run the program.

After initially joining Respira as a sophomore, Dunn has climbed her way through the choir hierarchy and has found herself in Coppell’s varsity mixed choir, A cappella and is now the captain of Respira. As captain, Dunn finds herself working with other members to learn the pieces and corresponding dances quickly and effectively.

“Being Respira captain has been one of the most busy but also fun experiences I have had,” Dunn said. “It let me realize the passion and goals of every girl in Respira and how determined they are to reach those goals. It has made me respect our directors even more because I see know how much work goes into creating a successful show.”

Laasya Achanta, Staff Writer

Laasya Achanta is a first-year writer on staff. She enjoys singing and playing the piano during her free time. In school, she is involved in BPA and Coppell Choir. You can contact her by email at [email protected]

Lilly Gorman, Photographer

Lilly Gorman is a sophomore and first year photographer on The Sidekick. In her free time she enjoys shooting 35mm film and taking photos. She is part of technical theatre at Coppell High School and has been playing bass guitar for three years. You can contact her at [email protected]