CHS to host 10-year Red Jacket reunion Friday

Coppell High School has invited all current and former Coppell Red Jackets to a reunion on Friday. The Red Jackets will have the opportunity to attend a breakfast, the pep rally and the football game. Sidekick file photo.

Sidekick file photo

Neha Desaraju, Staff Writer

For the first time, Coppell High School is hosting a reunion open to all current and former CHS Red Jacket members.

The Red Jackets are a select group of seniors who are chosen to represent CHS. These students go through an intense application and interview process in their junior year and are selected based on merit and a sense of community, as well as leadership qualities and maturity. They lead tours, greet distinguished guests and volunteer at various Coppell ISD events. Aylor Rix, a math teacher at CHS, is one of the sponsors.

Coppell ISD Superintendent Brad Hunt started the organization 10 years ago when he was a principal at CHS. In order to contact former Red Jackets, Rix reached out through Facebook and past sponsors, including Hunt.

For the reunion, the Red Jackets are invited to a celebratory breakfast at 8 a.m. in the library, where pictures of past guests and Red Jackets will be shown. Students and alumni will have the opportunity to mingle as well. A campus tour will be offered to former members. The breakfast is paid for by the organization, and each former Red Jacket will be recognized and honored at the pep rally, which they will get the opportunity to attend as well. Finally, they will also be offered seats at Friday night’s football game.

Every year, the Red Jackets participate in service projects to give back to the community. The students’ biggest project this year will be similar to a wall of fame focusing on graduates of Coppell.

“Essentially, it’s going to showcase the history of Coppell High School and highlight some important people that have made an impact since [it] was open,” Rix said.

The reunion provides an opportunity for current Red Jacket members to get to know previous members and the impact they have made on the school, as well as for alumni to get a chance to revisit Coppell.