Cowboys to hit ground running against Marcus in last leg of season

Coppell+High+School+senior+wide+receiver+Jonathan+McGill+run+the+ball+for+a+first+down+during+the+second+quarter+of+the+game+at+Max+Goldsmith+Stadium+on+Oct.+12.+The+Cowboys+lost+to+the+Farmers+13-6.+

Coppell High School senior wide receiver Jonathan McGill run the ball for a first down during the second quarter of the game at Max Goldsmith Stadium on Oct. 12. The Cowboys lost to the Farmers 13-6.

Aubrey Phillips

Aubrey Phillips

Aubrey Phillips

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

The Coppell football plays Marcus in the seventh week of the regular season on Friday at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field. Following their recent loss to Lewisville, the Cowboys are looking for a win against the Marauders (4-2 overall, 2-1 in District 6-6A).

“We just have to have a good week at practice,” Coppell coach Mike DeWitt said. “We’re still in the driver’s seat and we just have to focus on the week ahead of us.”

In last week’s 13-6 loss to Lewisville, Coppell (4-2 overall, 2-1 in District 6-6A) showed specific strength in its defense. Although walking off the field with a mark in the “L” column, there were still things to be proud of. In the game, the Cowboys’ defense often kept each play short and blocked a field goal in the third quarter.

Aubrey Phillips
Coppell High School seniors Xavier Brown and Khalil Rasheed tackle Lewisville quarterback during the second quarter of the game at Max Goldsmith Stadium on Oct. 12. The Cowboys lost to the Farmers 13-6.

Seeing as the defense has proven itself, Coppell’s focus for this week is the other side of the ball: offense.

“The thing about the defense is that all of them work hard all the time,” DeWitt said. “Overall, it’s just their effort that makes them good.”

The offense, is led by seniors quarterback Rasheed Noel and running back Ryan Hirt. Both with integral roles in the offensive structure, Noel and Hirt are seen as leaders on the team.

Another noticeable leader is senior safety Jonathan McGill. Although typically seen making plays as the last line of defense, McGill occasionally gets some action from the wide receiver position. In fact, McGill has gotten so much action that colleges began to notice. He orally committed to SMU on Wednesday.

“[McGill] is an all around great player. He brings a lot of experience to the field – being a starter since freshman year. He’s played a lot of football games and overall makes the team better,” DeWitt said.

Tickets for the Coppell-Marcus game will be sold online and at the CHS field house until Friday.

Nicholas is a junior and is currently in his second year on staff. He enjoys writing sports coverage and the occasional column. You can often see him on...

Aubrey Phillips, Staff Photographer

Aubrey Phillips is a senior and second year staffer on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with friends and family, listening to music...