Cowboys go into season with new quarterback, same strategy

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

The Coppell football team is locked and loaded for the season. The Cowboys will play Sachse tonight at 7 p.m. in their season opener and the first game of the season at Buddy Echols Field.

Coppell senior kicker Caden Davis attempts a field goal at practice on Thursday. The Cowboys will play Sachse tonight to 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field. Photo by Gabby Nelson

After losing one of Coppell’s quarterbacks, senior Taj Gregory, to a collarbone injury in last week’s scrimmage against Plano West, the Cowboys are left with just one guy at the helm of the offense — junior Drew Cerniglia.

Following four years of the same quarterback, veteran players will now have to adjust to the new playing style of a bigger quarterback. Cerniglia has a powerful arm, but tends to stay behind the offensive line.

“[Cerniglia] is more of a pocket passer,” Coppell coach Mike DeWitt said. “In the past, we’ve had a dual-threat

quarterback, but Cerniglia has a strong arm and we hope to utilize that.”

However, Cerniglia cannot run the show by himself. Senior running back Ryan Hirt should help him a little bit. In the scrimmage, the team got a small view of what the star running back as a junior looks like in his last year as a Cowboy: quick and evasive, but still ready to plow through his opponents.

New security policies at Buddy Echols Field

Coppell ISD is changing the security protocol at its home stadium.

Fans and spectators are now only allowed small bags and all bags are subject to search at the front gate. There will also be Coppell Policemen and women at all entrances and positioned throughout the property. There will also be sufficient seating for handicapped individuals, including wheelchair accessibility.

As for the excitable fans and student section, all signs must be hand-drawn and cannot include the name of the opposing team, mascot or players. In addition, no persons without a field pass will be allowed on the field, track or ay surrounding area.

To view all stadium policies, visit the Coppell Athletics website.