What is the right way to spend summer?

Editorial Staff

The final bell rings, and it feels like the beginning scene of High School Musical 2. It is finally summer.

Some Coppell High School students are rushing home, ready to start binging on the latest Netflix show, and others head straight to the neighborhood pool, ready to cool off from the brutal Texas heat. But there are also students who are busy learning languages, studying for college tests or working several jobs.

One student may look at another, and think they are weird for spending their summer like that, but what defines a well-spent summer?

For some students, doing activities, whether related to a job or school, is not something to dread. It may be useful or fun to them, more similar to playing around than the dreaded endeavor we associate with school, or the monotonous routine of a 9 to 5 job.

That is how some people work (no pun intended) and so the three month break from the routine of school gives them a chance to delve into the subjects they enjoy such as, languages or working at a restaurant.

Even just staying home and studying for upcoming classes provides a routine that is dependable and relaxing. The choice to focus on school work is so popular that colleges such as North Lake College have started seeing dramatic increases in the amount of students taking summer classes.

These busy bees may see different people relaxing and feel pressured to do the same, like they are doing too much and should just take a chill pill. Or, they may see others working harder than them, and feel like they are not doing enough and need to start cramming.

For some people, they not only want a break from school, they need a three-month recovery from it, otherwise known as summer. Their summer is dedicated to their TV, friends, family and nothing else.

They are not very productive in the terms that most people think of, mainly because they do not need to be and do not have any intention to. The only amount of effort they put into their summer is packing their bag before the first day of school, and that is OK. The break helps these people decompress, bringing them into the school year relaxed, happy and ready to receive the best grades they can.

For these people, however much they want to relax, they may also see different people, bent over their textbooks, sitting in classrooms or visiting colleges, and feel that they should be doing the same. They may feel that they are being too lazy, and they will never get through high school without doing all of the work other people may be doing.

They should not have to feel this pressure, and should recognize that summer is an individualistic experience. The only commonality that all students should have is the time period that it occurs.

Some define a successful summer as one spent getting things done, some define a successful summer as one spent relaxing and many are in between.

Ultimately, a summer full of success is a summer full of happiness. When you are packing your bag the morning of the first day of school, if you can look back on your summer, smile and feel satisfied, then you have had a successful summer.