• Coppell ISD is on summer break. Classes resume Aug. 15

Decision day calls for senior appreciation

Seniors+across+Texas+make+the+important+decision+regarding+which+school+they+are+committing+to+for+the+next+four+years+of+their+college+career.+Coppell+High+School+counselors+celebrate+the+seniors%E2%80%99+dedication+and+hard+work+by+bringing+in+a+photobooth+and+giving+out+raffle+prizes+during+sixth+period.+
Seniors across Texas make the important decision regarding which school they are committing to for the next four years of their college career. Coppell High School counselors celebrate the seniors’ dedication and hard work by bringing in a photobooth and giving out raffle prizes during sixth period.

Karis Thomas

Karis Thomas

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

Colorful flags with popular colleges such as Stanford and UT-Austin line the wall in the Coppell High School commons as seniors are seated in the front tables during lunch.

In Texas, today is the day seniors make one of the most important decisions of their lives – which college they plan to attend.

“It’s an important day across Texas and throughout high school to celebrate students making the choice to have some time to post secondary education,” CHS counselor Jayla Maehs said. “We just want to make sure to recognize their hardwork and dedication and we wanted to join a Texas movement to dedicate that.”

Throughout the lunches, the counselors held raffle games and gave out gift cards to popular places such as the movie theater.

In addition to raffles, they had a photobooth with props that represented graduation and being a Coppell Cowboy with props such as graduation gowns and horses.

“It’s a good event just to see where everyone is going, just to step back and look at the decision that we took four years to back,” senior Janane Tan said. “It’s a sigh of relief because now you know where you’re going and you don’t have to worry about it anymore.”

With prom only a couple of weeks ago and graduation inching closer, the end of high school is right around the corner for seniors and today just makes it that much more real.

“It sets the stone for the first step in life,” senior Grace Kompany said. “It’s the first major decision you will ever make and it’s the first real choice that can have either consequences or huge benefits.”

Follow Anika @anikaarutla

About the Photographer
Karis Thomas, Staff Photographer
Karis Thomas is a senior and first year photographer for The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with friends and family, working on photography and traveling. She also enjoys spending time outdoors whether to explore the city, run, or bike. With comments or concerns, contact her @karisthomas_ or [email protected]