Coppell bringing its talents to Round Rock

Mari Pletta

While keeping the opposing team from scoring, Coppell High School sophomore defender Montserrat Lomeli looks for an open pass during the game against the Naaman Lady Rangers on March 29 at the John Clark Field. The Coppell Cowgirls will play again On Friday at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex in Round Rock.

Nicholas Pranske, Sports Assignment Editor

This Thursday, both Coppell varsity soccer teams will be sitting on a bus for more than four hours on their way to Round Rock in anticipation of their next playoff games.

Both the boys and girls will be playing in the Class 6A Region II tournament this weekend just outside of Austin at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex. The girls kick it off at 1 p.m. on Friday against Round Rock, with the boys playing at 4 p.m. against Spring Woods.

“I think the soccer teams have a chance at winning state this year,” one might hear someone utter in the hallway. And, indeed, they do – the Cowgirls finished the season with their third District 9-6A championship in three years, and the boys came in a close second behind J.J. Pearce.

The Cowgirls ended the season with 47 goals in just 11 matches and those numbers carried throughout the playoffs. In the three playoff matches, the Cowgirls have racked up 10 goals and have not let a single one past sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Kellett. However, there was a close call last match.

After 80 minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of overtime with no goals, Coppell and Sachse went into a head-to-head shootout. With a final goal by freshman Sydney Green, followed by a save by Kellett, the Cowgirls were headed to Austin.

As for the Cowboys, the thought of letting a goal in did not sit well with them either. Like the girls, the Cowboys did not concede a goal either, while scoring 10 of their own.

Led by senior midfielder Wyatt Priest, the boys team has been consistent in their play throughout the season. Priest led the district in goals and assists, with 27 and 12 respectively.

Both teams are hoping to continue their playoff legacy this weekend at the Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex, tickets will be available at the gate.