Angst documentary to air Thursday night at CHS

Pramika Kadari

Coppell ISD is screening the documentary Angst: Raising Awareness Around Anxiety on March 29 from 6 – 7:30 p.m in the Coppell High School auditorium. The film focuses on raising awareness for anxiety and de-stigmatizing the issue.

Pramika Kadari, Staff Writer

Tomorrow in the Coppell High School auditorium, Coppell Independent School District is screening the documentary Angst: Raising Awareness Around Anxiety from 6-7:30 p.m. The film is 56 minutes and a question-and-answer session with the creators of the documentary will follow.

Students in fifth grade and above are welcome to attend the free event, as well as parents.

Angst explores the causes and effects of anxiety, and strives to de-stigmatize the issue. Interviews with those who struggle with anxiety are also featured, including Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps. The film contains discussions with mental health experts as well.

“[Showing this documentary] is part of our ongoing commitment to the emotional and social well being of our students,” Coppell ISD director of communications Amanda Simpson said. “It might help people empathize with others. [For parents], it gives them insight on what may be going on with their children that they are unaware of because they don’t grow up in the time we grow up in.”

The district has shown documentaries in the past, including Screenagers, which revolved around young people in the digital world and how technology affects teenagers.

Angst is becoming somewhat popular in the area, which is how Coppell ISD heard of the film.

“Some surrounding districts have shown this documentary Angst and it came highly recommended to us,” Simpson said.