Back to back: Cowgirls crowned as district champions once again, open playoffs Tuesday

Akif Abidi, Staff Writer

The Cowgirls walked onto the Buddy Echols Field on a cool and windy Friday night with the District 6-9A just within their grasps and walked off victorious.

The Cowgirls won 6-1 in their last District 6-9A match on Senior Night against the Lady Eagles. With the district championship on the line, the second-placed Cowgirls were determined to win against the sixth-placed Lady Eagles (0-6-1) as they attempted to overcome J.J. Pearce for first place.

Prior to the match,  Coppell and J.J. Pearce had been tied for first place with a record of 8-1-1. With the Richardson match a make-it or break-it opportunity, the match was crucial for the Cowgirls.

Bren Flechtner
Coppell High School junior Rebecca Watley runs with the ball to pass against the Richardson Eagles during the second half of the game on senior night March 24 at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowgirls won the game against the Eagles 6-1.

The match saw a barrage of goals from Coppell, with the first coming from freshman forward Maya Ozymy in the third minute. The Lady Eagles had just begun pushing back and getting shots when Coppell sophomore defender Haley Roberson scored in the 16th minute with a long lobbed shot from almost 30 yards out, making the score 2-0.

The goal was followed up with another a great dribble and long shot from CHS junior defender Addison Ramirez in the 26th minute, making the score 3-0 for the Cowgirls, but was soon answered by the Lady Eagles with a well-placed shot by junior Ana Resendiz, making the score read 3-1 just minutes before halftime.

However, the Cowgirls soon responded with a shot from junior forward Micayla Weathers off a great play to make the score 4-1 in the 44th minute, the goal was followed by sophomore Alyssa Roemer’s header in the 56th minute from a cross by Recca Watley.

The match saw its last goal in the dying minutes of the game in the 75th minute from Roemer, making score  6-1 at full time.

The victory gave the Cowgirls the needed boost over J.J. Pearce and breaking the tie, crowning Cowgirls the 2018 district champions.

“I couldn’t be prouder of them stepping up, even when everything looked kind of dim for us, we continued to fight through the adversities and continued to play, and we always look to improve,” Coppell coach Ryan Dunlevy said. 

The Cowgirls had started celebrating before the final whistle was even blown, and the crowd went wild with family members and friends piling out of the stands to congratulate the 2018 District 9-6A champions. After a month of back-to-back matches, hard work and sacrifices, the Cowgirls had finally reached their sought goal.

The midfield made up of senior Ty Runnels, Roberson and sophomore Allison Scrivner was a crucial part of the victory. Forming the backbone of the team, the players stimulated many attacking plays, made numerous tackles and put out well-placed passes.

The Cowgirls had an overall great track record this district season with 47 goals scored and just 9 goals conceded in 11 matches. Now with their third district championship in the past four years, the team has to prepare for the playoffs.

”We have all the tools that we need, it’s just the matter of fine-tuning the minor things and fixing the little mistakes because we know how to play and we know what we want to do, we want to use that to our advantage.” said Dunlevy

Catch the Cowgirls (14-3-3) play Naaman Forest on Tuesday at 8 p.m. at John Clark Stadium in their first Class 6A Region I bi-district playoff