Pehl named full-time CISD assistant athletics director

Cowboys basketball to have new leadership

Over the past six years, Kit Pehl has coached the boys basketball team. Recently, Pehl made the transition to the CISD assistant athletics director.

Nicholas Pranske, Sports Assignment Editor

Coppell boys basketball coach Kit Pehl is stepping down after six seasons leading the Cowboys to become Coppell ISD assistant athletics director.

“There was a proposal for a full-time athletic director…  so it was a matter of if I wanted to be in that position or not, which I do” Pehl said.

Pehl built his coaching resume with 13 seasons as head coach at Keller Central and Coppell. The past two years, Pehl has served as Coppell boys basketball coach and assistant athletics director.

The thing helping Pehl the most with the transition was his opportunity to gain experience as a half-and-half coach/assistant director.

“It’s been outstanding to be able to do both, but it’s just tough,” Pehl said. “The person that is in that position probably needs to be doing one or the other.”

The search for a new boys basketball coach is underway.

“We’re looking a replacement currently. That job was posted this week,” Pehl said. “I expect that interviews will begin the week after spring break.”

Although he will no longer be losing his voice game-after-game on the court, Pehl will without a doubt leave an impact on Coppell basketball.

“Change is change,” Pehl said. “My players’ capabilities are good enough in my eyes to handle the adjustment.”

About the Writer
Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

Nicholas is a junior and is currently in his second year on staff. He enjoys writing sports coverage and the occasional column. You can often see him on...