Pursuing passions: Finding your niche in high school

Cristina Gomez

Coppell High School sophomore Anthony Cesario reflects on his journey of discovering his passion for writing. Encouraging others to follow in his footsteps, Cesario hopes that students will have a fulfilling high school experience.

Anthony Cesario, Co-Student Life Editor

Dropped into an unfamiliar building with thousands of other kids and an overwhelming amount of activities to participate in, it can often be difficult to find a place where you truly belong in high school.

The majority of my freshman year at Coppell High School was spent adjusting to this huge new environment, unsure of where I truly belonged.

I was not one of the band kids anymore — I gave up that status after picking up the trumpet in sixth grade and subsequently realizing that I loathed the idea of practicing, much less playing it.

Art was another interest that fizzled out in middle school, distancing me from my friends who were busy discussing their favorite medium. I was even a part of the choir group from seventh to eighth grade, but over time, the idea of singing what I was told to — and not what I wanted to — left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have always been passionate about writing. I had participated and won awards in several writing contests in the past, loving the prospect of arranging words in a way that had never been done before, watching a story come to life before my eyes. Yet despite a dwindling amount of curricular interests, I never actually considered writing as something I would want to pursue.

Even so, I signed up for both creative writing and The Sidekick my sophomore year. I was excited for new opportunities and the idea of integrating my passion for writing into my daily school life, albeit fearing in the back of my mind that I would end up like I had after my previous ventures: uninterested, back to square one.

Looking back, I question why I ever doubted taking these classes. Through writing, I now believe I have found a place where I truly belong.

The biggest surprise for me was how many friendships I have formed through creative writing and The Sidekick, friendships that are so much more comfortable and stronger than I had ever experienced. Because we all share a similar interest, writing, it is easy for us to form a connection with each other and share everything from similar issues and thought processes to a similar sense of humor.

In creative writing, I quickly became close friends with three of the students sitting next to me. We are all bonded by a love for writing, yet we have also learned so much about each other. It feels like we have known each other for years.

The Sidekick, similarly, encourages constant communication which creates a sense of camaraderie among staff members and thus forms strong friendships. I used to have only a few upperclassman friends, but because I interact so frequently with The Sidekick upperclassmen editors, I have formed connections with many of them.

I have also become close to the fellow staff members who sit at my table: we give each other advice, sit with each other at lunch and have dubbed ourselves the Sidekick Sophomore Squad.

In addition, pursuing my passion of writing has allowed me to truly enjoy more of my school experience. I love the days when I come to class, eager to work on my short story in creative writing or publish my next article on Coppell Student Media.

In creative writing especially, I have been able to have more freedom with how I want to use my passion. We may have to write a poem given an assigned theme such as color or a specific place, but I have the freedom to decide how I want my poem to end up. We may have to write a personal narrative, but I do not necessarily need to have a thesis, three body paragraphs and a conclusion paragraph. The possibilities are endless.

I encourage anyone unsure of where they belong in school to stop stressing and let things happen naturally. It may not be immediately evident, but if you are open to new experiences, you will find your true passion and discover your niche. Your school experience will be much more rewarding, and you will most likely meet many new people with similar interests.

Now that I have pursued my own passion of writing, I have gained more out of school than I ever have before. So as I am walking to class with my Sidekick Sophomore Squad, I know I have found a place in school where I truly belong.

Follow @anthony_SK2017 on Twitter