On the Spot: Red Jackets paving path for success by hosting Q&A sessions for self-improvement

Coppell+High+School+senior+Red+Jackets+Carson+Maher+and+Gabby+Mungo+do+a+Red+Jacket+Q%26A+today+during+all+lunches.+Juniors+were+able+to+attend+this+metting+to+ask+questions+about+the+oppotunity+they+were+given+this+year+to+be+Red+Jackets+and+what+they+liked+the+best+about+this+privilege.+

Varsha Kanneganti

Coppell High School senior Red Jackets Carson Maher and Gabby Mungo do a Red Jacket Q&A today during all lunches. Juniors were able to attend this metting to ask questions about the oppotunity they were given this year to be Red Jackets and what they liked the best about this privilege.

Tanya Raghu, Enterprise Editor

After moving to Texas from New York in eighth grade of all the high schools senior Red Jacket Carson Maher toured, he got the most truthful, inside look at Coppell High School thanks to the Red Jackets program.

“I moved here from New York and I toured this school in eighth grade and I remember I toured Southlake, Trophy Club and some AP would tour me and they looked like they had better stuff to do. Coming here I had the Red Jackets tour me and I thought it was pretty cool getting kids because their more likely to give honest answers,” Maher said.

Fast forwarding four years, Maher was selected to be apart of this elite group of about 37 seniors, an opportunity now extended the current juniors.

“The selectivity of the program is what I most respect about the Red Jackets. I know so many people who apply but only the best of the best make it,” junior Red Jacket applicant Yue Taria said. “I knew since eighth grade after going on the tours that I wanted to be a Red Jacket.”

Applicants are required to have a 4.7 GPA on a 6.0 s, complete the application, be on good standing with school rules, write a cover letter and acquire a letter of recommendation from a CHS teacher and Coppell community member. The application was made available on the CHS website earlier this year.

The applications were reviewed by the Red Jacket committee to determine round one applicants, next, potential Red Jackets are required to make a video. The final step in the process is to complete an interview.

As representatives of the school and leaders for underclassmen, the program has launched a series self-improvement sessions. Today, current Red Jackets hosted their first monthly advice session for students.

Topics of the sessions include standardized testing and AP exams, time management and prioritizing and study skills and exam prep.

The upcoming sessions will be held on March 28 and April 25 during all lunches in the library classroom.

“I love being a Red Jacket because I get to impact other students and I can relate to them because I was in their same position four years ago,” senior Red Jacket Gabby Mungo said.