On the Spot: END IT movement, shining a light on the issue of human trafficking

Senior+Lauren+McCord+drew+a+red+X+on+her+hand+in+support+of+the+END+IT+movement.+The+END+IT+movement+brings+awareness+to+the+issue+of+human+trafficking.+

Bren Fletchner

Senior Lauren McCord drew a red X on her hand in support of the END IT movement. The END IT movement brings awareness to the issue of human trafficking.

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

Coppell High School sophomore Charlotte Vanyo and senior Lauren McCord showed their support for the END IT movement by drawing a red X on the back of their hands.

The END IT movement is a coalition of organizations that work to combat human trafficking. They host a lot of events like fun runs to raise awareness of the issue. 

“It gives you an opportunity to talk about the issue with other people about the issue since it’s not something you talk about on a normal basis,” McCord said.

McCord has participated in the movement for three years and has posted about it on her social media to continue to raise awareness.

“It wasn’t until more recently that I really understood the impact that human trafficking has on the world,” said McCord. “All of the facts that you hear are not accurate because it is an underground issue.”

Through donations, the END IT movement helps fight human trafficking by funding different areas of the issue like rescue and rehabilitation. Furthermore, they are partnered with the International Justice Mission which is an organization that takes the people involved into court and deal with the legal side of the issue. 

“This definitely should not be a problem anymore, the fact that it still is and so few people know about it and that it is an issue that is faced in the U.S. is a huge problem,” Vanyo said.

You can donate to the cause at enditmovement.com and help shine a light on the issue.

Follow Anika @anikaarutla