Skyline no match for district leading Cowgirls

Akif Abidi, Staff Writer

The District 9-6A leading Coppell girls soccer team had no trouble on Friday night at Buddy Echols Field as it cruised to a 6-0 victory over Skyline, adding another match to the Cowgirls’ undefeated streak.

A great combination of smart choices and long balls from the defense, great vision and crosses from the midfielders, and quick feet from the offense made the Cowgirls a force not to be reckoned with.

The match kicked off with constant attacking plays by the Cowgirls, with three shots and multiple crosses in just the first 10 minutes.

The match saw its first two goals in the very same minute in a barrage of charged plays by the Cowgirls due to several careless mistakes by the Lady Raiders. CHS junior forwards Micayla Weathers and Rebecca Watley scored back-to-back with a well-timed dribble past the keeper and an easy shot at the open goal in the 15th minute, giving Coppell a 2-0 lead.

The game continued to see smart attacking plays and a majority of possession by the Cowgirls after the two goals. Though the Lady Raiders created some chances, the efforts by their offense were diminished by the superb defending and clear balls by the Cowgirls’ defense.

Watley’s well-placed shot at the left top corner of the goal from a tight angle in the 25th minute increased the lead to 3-0.

Just minutes later, Skyline ceded its fourth goal with a great through-ball to right outside the box from Coppell’s midfielder and sophomore midfielder Allison Scrivner, and a close-range shot by center attacking-midfielder and junior midfielder Nicole Henry, giving the Cowgirls a comfortable lead of 4-0.

Junior center-back  Mary Ziperman closed out the scoring for Coppell as a lofted pass from a free-kick 40 yards out bounced twice in the box and passed the goalkeeper to meet the back of the net in the 43rd minute.

The Cowgirls saw a change in formations between the first and second half as the team’s tempo changed to a more conservative position. Interestingly enough, the Cowgirls dropped their regular 4-3-3 and adopted the new 3-5-2 formation in the early minutes of the first half that the Coppell Cowboys have been using this season.

Though the formation is still new to the team, it worked like a charm with the players and lead the team scoring the five goals in the first half. But the Cowgirls did later switch to the 4-3-3 as the second half began.

“We did good connecting with each other and switching the point of attack, and we did really good scoring off all of our opportunities,” Henry said. “I think that if we keep on working hard and don’t let anything affect our mindset, and keep going strong, we will be good for the rest of the district.”

Be sure to catch the Cowgirls playing at Richardson at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday.