Eyes on the prize: Cowgirls kick off district with an impressive win against Mustangs

The+Cowgirls+kickoff+against+the+Lady+Mustangs+on+Feb.+2+Buddy+Echols+Field.+The+Cowgirls+defeated+Pearce+5-1+with+strong+offensive+plays+from+their+midfield.+

Akif Abidi

The Cowgirls kickoff against the Lady Mustangs on Feb. 2 Buddy Echols Field. The Cowgirls defeated Pearce 5-1 with strong offensive plays from their midfield.

Akif Abidi, Staff Writer

With a solid 5-1 win against the Pearce Mustangs, the Coppell girls soccer team could not have imagined a better start in District 9-6A. A combination of chemistry, great passing, solid defense and well-placed shots in the 4-3-3 formation from the Cowgirls gave them the win that they deserved at Buddy Echols field.

Ranked No. 20 in Class 6A and currently on a five-match unbeaten streak, the Cowgirls were confident for a win coming onto the field. The Mustangs, on the other hand, were fairing decently with a 2-0-4 record so far in the season. But both teams were ready to fight for a win in their first district game.

The Cowgirls fought well with great plays from the midfield, solid defense and abundant goals in the last minutes to secure their win.

The Cowgirls attacked relentlessly from kickoff, with multiple shots in the first 10  minutes, but the Lady Mustangs defense finally gave in to a close-range shot by center forward Micayla Weathers from a splendid cross by right winger Rebecca Watley in the 16th minute.

There also was some great work seen from the midfield as the game progressed, especially some more crosses from Watley and many well-placed through-balls by midfielder Allison Scrivner, which gave life to many turnovers and crucial opportunities.  

Forward Jojo Alonso’s shots narrowly missed the goal multiple times, with two of them hitting the crossbars. But she, fortunately, managed to get the ball in the net with a banger right outside the box from a perfect through-ball by Scrivner in the 33rd minute, giving Coppell a lead of 2-0.    

However, the Mustangs showed some resistance with a very well timed lofted shot over goalie Lauren Kellet, to make the score 2-1 in the very last minutes of the first half. The Lady Mustangs’ first goal gave them some hope for a comeback in the second half.

But, their hopes were diminished when midfielder Maya Ozycry banged in a goal for the Cowgirls in the 46th minute, making the score 3-1.

“We were very good at attacking, better than we were last year and our defensive side has improved too, we are a better all rounded team than we were last year,” sophomore forward Alyssa Roemer said.

The game accelerated as the end of the second half approaches, with back to back attacks by both the Mustangs and the Cowgirls and more shots from both sides. The Cowgirls’ defense held back the Mustangs’ attacks with some great clear balls and tackles, while the midfield created some very good passes for the offense.

The Cowgirls lead was increased once more with goal by Watley with an assist from Weathers, initiated from through ball upfield from midfielder Maza Ozymy

Watley scored yet another goal in the 79 minute, ending the match with a score of 5-1 and adding yet another match to the Cowgirls’ unbeaten streak.

“I think that to open district like that with a 5-1 team against a good team like Pearce is a great start for us, I think that we have improved over the preseason games offensively and have better attacks, but I still think there is some room for improvement in the defense,” the Coppell head coach Ryan Dunlevy. “Our focus is always on the next game, we will worry about things one at a time. This game is over and now we have to put our focus on the next.”                          

Be sure to catch Coppell playing Lake Highlands on Tuesday, Feb. 6.