On the spot: Coppell placed in District 6-6A for 2018-2020

Coppell High School sophomore quarterback Brady McBride runs through the Hebron defense. Coppell won the game 26-20. Photo by Amanda Hair.

Reid Valentine, Staff Writer

As of Thursday morning, the Texas High School district realignment has placed Coppell back into a district and region that it is familiar with. For the past two school years District 9-6A has housed the Cowboys and Cowgirls, featuring schools such as Dallas Jesuit, W.T. White and Richardson Berkner.

The new District 9-6A is as follows: Coppell, Irving, Irving MacArthur, Irving Nimitz, Lewisville, Lewisville Flower Mound, Lewisville Hebron and Lewisville Marcus.

For Coppell football coach Mike DeWitt, the realignment means a simple change in schedule.

“From a football standpoint, nothing changes,” DeWitt said. “All that we have to do is work on scheduling and travel.”

Yet, Coppell baseball coach Kendall Clark is excited about the change in teams.

“The past few years I feel like our team has not be tested enough going into playoffs,” Clark said. “That is the result of a soft district, but these schools we will play next year will give us a better look at high quality opponents before heading into the postseason.”

Taking effect at the start of the 2018-19 school year, Coppell athletics will look to dominate yet another district.